1999 glastron with 5.7 GSI solenoid Vs. electrical issue

mrclean667

Cadet
Have a 1999 Glastron with 5.7 GSI. when you turn the key nothing happens. Plenty of juice in the batteries, you can hear something kick on when you turn the ignition to the on position, but when you goto start it nothing.

Figured it might be solenoid, but replaced it and still same issue. However, when we wired the solenoid (mercruiser solenoid, was told it was the same as OMC by dealer) and the yellow w/red stripe wire was on one of the smaller posts, and we turned the battery swith on, it would engage the started with out using the key. It was wired the same as previous solenoid. Just for fun :rolleyes: I made sure and switch the wires and nothing.

So solenoid works, but getting the solenoid to work sounds like the issue.

what else could it be. it was doing this intermittely last year and started again this weekend. Ending with not being able to turn over the motor at all. Things to look at, go over??

Thanks guys!!
J

skydiveD30571

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: 1999 glastron with 5.7 GSI solenoid Vs. electrical issue

What is the rest of the model number (the letters after GSI) or the serial number? The year of the boat doesn't always equal the year of the engine, and there were a few 5.7 GSI models in that time frame.

If the starter was engaging without using a key, and you've had intermittent cranking problems, I personally would start with checking the ignition switch as well as your ground connections. The yellow/red wire from the ignition switch will travel through the throttle lever assembly (neutral safety switch) then back to the starter relay. Then from the starter relay to the starter solenoid. For some reason it is being continually powered and that sounds like an ignition switch issue.

Last edited:

mrclean667

Cadet

Where do I find the exact engine model number. It's not on the paperwork I have?

skydiveD30571

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Here is the electrical/ignition/fuel OEM service_manual for your engine. I would start with the ignition switch test on page 1-18. After that I could take a look at the cranking system diagram on page 2-8. Wire 6 is the one I was referring to in my first post.