2000 Volvo Penta SX-M 1.97 Parts Question

sdmnglastron189

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 2000 Glastron with a Volvo Penta 3.0L GS MEFS Engine with the SX-M 1.97 Outdrive.

1. I am going to replace the Gimble Bearing. Does anyone Know what the corect part # is for the Sierra brand one that aligns with the grease zerk on the outdrive? What is the Volvo Part #? Or which bearing is the best on the market for this type model?

2. What is the part number for the long water intake hose that comes from the back of the transom and directly feeds the water circulating pump. It has a partial Volvo # on it but some of it is worn off and I can't find it anywhere on the web?

3. Is Sierra Brand Synthetic Blend Lower Gear Lubricant ok to use in this type unit?

20140420_123419.jpg

Any help would be great.

Thanks

:joyous:

dypcdiver

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: 2000 Volvo Penta SX-M 1.97 Parts Question

Click on the (Volvo Penta Parts) at the top of this page to answer your questions.

vwbugman69

Petty Officer 2nd Class

1. I am going to replace the Gimble Bearing. Does anyone Know what the corect part # is for the Sierra brand one that aligns with the grease zerk on the outdrive? What is the Volvo Part #? Or which bearing is the best on the market for this type model?

Sierra 18-2100 is a greaseable gimbal bearing that should work fine

You should be able to find the volvo part number here, Transom Shield. Item 22.

2. What is the part number for the long water intake hose that comes from the back of the transom and directly feeds the water circulating pump. It has a partial Volvo # on it but some of it is worn off and I can't find it anywhere on the web?

Mine says 3860159

Corian35

Cadet

I agree with bugman on the part number. That bearing is used on alot of merc and OMC drives. I think west marine has them for $37. Just remember to mark the location of the grease hole on the face so you can align it with the grease fitting on the drive. Also make sure the "corriagated" wrap is open over the grease hole of the bearing.

sdmnglastron189

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks everyone for all the information, bearing # where to find it and the part # for the coolant hose. I will let you know how the rebuild/replacement goes.

sdmnglastron189

Seaman Apprentice

Besides replacing the Gimble Bearing, Gimble Bearing Seal on Engine side the Bellows is there anything else that I should replace while I am in there and have the out-drive taken off that I am missing? Any other seals parts etc.?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Make sure you replace the oblong water seal ring the goes between the drive and the pivot housing. Always replace all the o-rings on the plugs when you change the gear oil.

insttech1

Petty Officer 1st Class

you need the special "oring" (just a shaped oring) that goes on the drive.
it usually comes as a kit w/ two other orings.

if i get a chance i'll try and find a link. i just got mine off amazon for about $2 total.....

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Last edited:

skydiveD30571

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Another thing, I never bother replacing the seal behind the gimble bearing. Your choice on that one!

That thing was a biotch to get out for me. If it looks okay, leave it in there!

sdmnglastron189

Seaman Apprentice

I'll order a few extras, good to have them handy. I will have to take a look at that seal if it doesn't seem torn or worn out, I will heed your advice on not changing it. Unless your Bilge fills up with water and your boat is sinking how would water get in there?

Thanks

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

DonS used to say it was more to keep dirt out. Supposedly it doesn't do much for water in either direction.

sdmnglastron189

Seaman Apprentice

Well good to know, if it doesn't really need changed then I'm leaving it in there.

Thanks

sdmnglastron189

Seaman Apprentice

Ok I Received all my parts today to replace the Gimble Bearing. Going to start it this weekend.

After reading some more forum posts on how to replace the bearing and instructions included in the box the bearing comes in they call for Sierra Spline Grease part # 18-9200. http://www.iboats.com/Spline-Grease...gle-_-Sierra&gclid=CMeSkqiIrb4CFQJqMgodOTEA5g

Is this grease for the U-joint shaft splines that go into the engine coupler? Also is this grease necessary or can I just use Marine Grade wheel bearing grease? Also when I grease the gimble bearing do you need to use Gimble bearing grease or Sierra Spline Grease or once again can I just use the same Wheel bearing grease?

If not what does everyone recommend I use instead, any part#'s brands etc?

Another thing there is a metal band around the Sierra Bearing does that get removed when I install the new bearing or does that stay on?

Thank you

Last edited:

dypcdiver

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Amazingly, the spline grease is for the splines, it should be a Moly grease. For the bearing and the "U" joints any decent quality wheel bearing grease will do, I use an EP grease.
The band around the bearing, I'm not sure what you mean, but when you remove the original all will become clear.
As a side note make sure you line the grease slot up with the grease nipple (zerk in your language).

sdmnglastron189

Seaman Apprentice

Found Mercury Engine Coupler & Spline grease at the local Marine Dealer. As for the Metal band around the bearing I figured that out. Awaiting a few more parts to arrive in the mail and then time to replace the bearing.