SX-A Top Cover Clearance - torque on dipstick bolt

Don S. thanks for the information you posted in the thread noted below.....

http://forums.iboats.com/volvo-pent...-outdrives/sx-top-cover-clearance-597061.html

I am wondering if any have ideas on how to best torque the dipstick bolt (screw driver, torque wrench) because the book that came with my engine from VP gives a torque value, that when used on my last cover sheared the threads in the top cap. Also, is there a thread lock that can be used to seal this point of water intrusion?

Thanks for any ideas.

On another note, Volvo Penta is a great outfit and certainly do their best to help the customer....they replaced my top cover on my almost out of warranty sx-a....I talked directly with VP and they were very supportive. This worked out because of course using a heli-coil on the top cap does not work so good, and therefore what could have been a $50 repair instead of the $500 it was going to cost me cost me only shipping...thanks VP.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Re: SX-A Top Cover Clearance - torque on dipstick bolt

Whenever you change your gear oil, replace the o-rings on all the plugs.

I normally always use a torque wrench on everything I do but I do have to say I have never used one on any of the plugs.

Whenever you change your gear oil, replace the o-rings on all the plugs.

I normally always use a torque wrench on everything I do but I do have to say I have never used one on any of the plugs.

Thanks for the reminder. I have received all new gaskets/o-rings, and am likely to only use my screwdriver this time. But I am still wondering if a thread lock would be a good idea for the plugs? thanks again.

skydiveD30571

Lieutenant Junior Grade

What torque value did you use? You probably already know this, but make sure you notice that the book value is in-lb. My first (and only) trip to a mechanic involved him shearing off those threads also because he read it as 48-72 ft-lbs when it is actually 48-72 in-lbs (i.e. 4-6 ft-lbs). Hence creating that thread you linked to.

Having said that, I too never torque it down. I tighten it by hand, then use a screwdriver to give it a small turn and call it good. As long as the o-ring isn't compromised it will do it's job without needing the dipstick incredibly torqued down.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner

You only have to get it snug to seat the gasket. My OMC Cobra has a similar design but OMC must have used better quality helicoils because I have never had a problem and its 26 years old. New gasket, just get it snug. All it does is seal in oil and seal out water....

muc

"Retired" Association of Marine Technicians...

Some of the SX-A covers had this problem. You won't have to worry about the new cover.
Don't exceed 48-72 in-lbs and you'll be fine.

Thanks to all who helped. I completed a pressure test to 15psi all was good. I did a vacuum test and it lost vacuum...so I will bring it to the dealer. I have refilled with gear oil because I live on an island (12miles to nearest dealer) and need to get the boat to the dealer. I have had the boat on my trailer for a few days now. I pulled the dipstick yesterday and heard an audible escape of pressure when I unscrewed the dipstick....anyone know if this is normal?

thanks in advance.