Barr exhaust manifold and electrolysis

mrscheib

Cadet
I have a 25' SkipJack that has the AQ271C and 290C outdrive. The engine has 60 hours on it after a complete rebuild. When I got it last October I immediately flushed it out when I got it home just to make sure it had been done as the previous owner wasn't the best on taking care of her. I do know that he flushed it each time he took it out. It's sat under a tarp since then.

All this to say that I had been getting it ready while waiting on the new gas tank I had to get. While I was putting around I noticed on the Barr exhaust manifold that 3 of the 4 plugs were completely gone. One of them looked fine. When I ran it last October I'm pretty sure they were still there as I would have noticed if water was pouring out all over. I couldn't find any replacements online so I called Barr. The person I talked to expressed surprise as he had never heard in all of his years that any of those plugs had dissolved. I guess that's the word to use. He mentioned that maybe I had an electrolysis problem. Can that happen sitting on land? I did have a power cord draped over the edge with a dryer device in there over the past few months. Really weird and I'd like to hear any of your thoughts. You can see the attached pictures.

I do have to say I was impressed with the Barr person as they are going to ship me out some replacements.

Attachments

• barr02.jpg
    barr02.jpg
    139.8 KB · Views: 0
  • barr03.jpg
    barr03.jpg
    146.3 KB · Views: 0

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Re: Barr exhaust manifold and electrolysis

Did you drain them? Almost seems like the water in the manifolds froze and the casting plugs got pushed out.

mrscheib

Cadet

Did you drain them? Almost seems like the water in the manifolds froze and the casting plugs got pushed out.

I had a heater in the engine compartment. I didn't see anything in the bilge either but I will look closer.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

I would be draining the block and manifolds on your boat in the future.

Bondo

Staff member

I would be draining the block and manifolds on your boat in the future.

Ayuh,.... Those core plugs didn't Just disappear, so a freeze is the only logical explanation,....

My guess is, you'll find 'em in the bilge,...

'n Hopefully, nothin' else was damaged by the Freeze,...

It's damn near Unbelievable how lazy folks are,...
Drainin' All the water is the only Safe way to winterize,...
Air, Don't Freeze,...

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

There brass not steel and never just corrode away. Check the bilge. Being that is was never drained and could be cracked along with the block, install some rubber ones or cork ones for testing.

mrscheib

Cadet

Ayuh,.... Those core plugs didn't Just disappear, so a freeze is the only logical explanation,....

My guess is, you'll find 'em in the bilge,...

'n Hopefully, nothin' else was damaged by the Freeze,...

It's damn near Unbelievable how lazy folks are,...
Drainin' All the water is the only Safe way to winterize,...
Air, Don't Freeze,...

The bad news is that yes they were in the bilge. The good news is I put them back in and fired it up and let it run for 15 minutes and there were no noticeable leaks. Oil looked fine as well as the radiator water. I guess God does protect fools and whatever the rest of that saying is.

Certainly not laziness, but stupidity would be more like it. Really didn't think about it. I will from now on. I assumed it all drained out. Not that much experience with I/O. That could have been costly. Seems like most of my mistakes always end up costing me money. Luckily not this time.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

Now go buy your self a lottery ticket, your one lucky person!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!