MAP sensor question

bluecollerboater

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 1994 Volvo Penta 5.7 Gipmda . I had a Jasper long block installed in december and made a deal with the mechanic to bring it in in April for final adjustments. He told me it was not idling correctly after the install so he winterized it and I took it home for the winter. I brought it to him and he said there was a problem with the Map sensor. He called me two days later and said the boat was all set to pick up. I picked it up and immediately brought it home to run it. I started it up and it ran well and idled well. So I took a look around and noticed the mechanic had moved the MAP sensor forward of the throttle body and cut the vacuum line attached to it leaving the end open. He also plugged a vacuum line coming from the back of the throttle body with a bolt. My questions are will this cause any long term problems or failures? Where does the vacuum line from the MAP sensor go? where does the vacuum line from the back of the throttle body go? Thank you very much in advance for any help.

bluecollerboater

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: MAP sensor question

I am out of state with work until May 1st. I do not have any pics with me.

bluecollerboater

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Does anyone know where the vacuum line from the map sensor is supposed to go? Does anyone know where the vacuum line from the back of the throttle body is supposed to go? Thanks.

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

OK first a few thing's for clarity your orignial engine was a 1994....You installed a new long block...this new long block was it pre 1996 model year or is it new say 2000 and above long block.....What does a long block mean to you..heads intake the whole sha bang...Did you take your old intake and put it on the new block...do you have a hyper link to the new long block

Much more info is needed it reads like a real mess...but then again maybe not.

Original motor was pre vortec

Did you replace it with a true vortec motor.

Last edited:

bluecollerboater

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I paid a mechanic to install a jasper remanned long block as well as manifolds and risers. The intake and tbi are all original.

Fun Times

Staff member

The way you described the install, it sounds like he installed a newer style MAP sensor that would fit into a hole in the intake manifold, plenum or throttle body adaptor vs the old style MAP sensor that had a smaller hose going into the throttle body area.

If he has your engine running correctly then you should be fine without any future problems.

In the link below, they seem to be talking a little bit about what your wondering about here.
http://www.justanswer.com/boat/6f7ud-volvo-penta-5-7gxi-a-keeps-giving-map-sensor-high-voltage.html