Electrical problems

LHUDSON

Seaman
I have a 1985 Bayliner Capri Cuddy.It has a AQ 125A.If I let it sit for more than a couple of weeks it will not turn over,I mean when I turn the key nothing happens,like its dead.I keep trying to start it for about a half hour then it will finially start,and every time after like nothing is wrong.I can jump it across with a screwdriver and it will start,so it must be a bad wire some where between the ingnition and the starter?Its frustrating because once it starts it works fine like nothing is wrong,untill it sits for a long period of time,then the problem starts all over again.Oh,it seems that cold weather makes it act up worse.I have never been good fixing electrical problems.Any Ideas???

justinteoc

Seaman
Re: Electrical problems

We'll I would start by removing the small s wire on the starter and have someone turn the key and see if your getting fire then.. If it is getting fire every time then you know you have a starter solenoid problem and if you do not get fire when the key is in start position then i would check the back of the key switch the same way, when in the start position you should have fire on one of the small wires and it should go away when the key is returned to the on position..

Last edited:

Grandad

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Electrical problems

I suspect that you have a sticking solenoid. Cold temperatures could make the difference in whether old lubricant or dirt prevents smooth movement of the solenoid. - Grandad