Volvo (ford) 5.0 fl coil questions

duckman4548

Seaman Apprentice
hi, I have a 302 Volvo motor, appears to have weak spark and missing when running, I am thinking coil as every other thing checks out, there is a black rubber connector (looks like a inline fuse holder) with a single pin connector in it coming off coil, is this a resistor as not sure which coil to buy, resister or not, Thanx

duckman4548

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Volvo (ford) 5.0 fl coil questions

I changed coil, runs but seems to be skipping, very yellow spark at dist cap, spark at cap but removing plug wires one at a time doesn't make a difference, except on a few. Tried switching plus wires at cap and plugs...no difference. Is there a module in dist. that could be weak? I don't want to throw money at it without direction. 5.0 fl 2 bbl

bajaunderground

Lieutenant

What year, model number of engine and type of boat? Help us help you!

~Brett

duckman4548

Seaman Apprentice

Thanx , Its a 5.0 fl, the boat was repowered in 97 with this power and a dp-c1 drive. I am installing a new long block now. It is in a Formula 233

bajaunderground

Lieutenant

Thanx , Its a 5.0 fl, the boat was repowered in 97 with this power and a dp-c1 drive. I am installing a new long block now. It is in a Formula 233
If it's a '97 then the model number should be either a 502APNCA or 502APNCS? Look on the Port side valve cover...there should be a placard attached?

If you replaced with an aftermarket coil, then I'd only use OEM or other direct factory replacement (that way you can rule out that being non-compatible?).

Also, if it's for sure a "misfire" then I'd go thru the basics and perform a complete tune-up (when was the last time the plugs, wires, cap and rotor were replaced?) The ignition system is a point-less one so there's not dwell to set nor points to gap?

Here's a link to the schematic:

LINK

w dixon

Recruit
I have a 5.0 liter 1994 volvo motor and after i change the coil it revs fine one time then after reving below 3,000 rpms it fluxuates up and down