volvo penta sx outdrive

bajaunderground

Lieutenant
Re: volvo penta sx outdrive

Welcome to iboats! Sucks this is your first post!

Can you remove prop and see the source? Might be propshaft seal? Did you winterize last fall? Might be due to water infiltration-->freezing temperatures, cracked lower unit. Find the source, then report back. Peeps much smarter than I will give you an idea what you're up against!

~Brett

kidd3

Recruit

green oil leaking from behind my prop dont know way ?
yes took prop off looked in where shaft is and it is full of oil can't really see where it is coming from might be more then i can fix myself but oil is a green color don't know if its gear oil or power trim fluid ?

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Power trim is usually red.
There shouldn't be anyway the T/T fluid can get to the prop area.
The green oil is probably gear oil.
You need to drain and pressure test the lower.
Profile?Location? U might be close to someone who can help???

kidd3

Recruit

Power trim is usually red.
There shouldn't be anyway the T/T fluid can get to the prop area.
The green oil is probably gear oil.
You need to drain and pressure test the lower.
Profile?Location? U might be close to someone who can help???

yes i will take it to my guy and will post what was wrong and what was fix thanks

Corian35

Cadet

yes i will take it to my guy and will post what was wrong and what was fix thanks

I have a drive that I am in the process of rebuilding because I snapped a vertical drive shaft. I was bored during this Cleveland winter and modeled every component with ProEngineer and made this assembly. The only two leak points would be the drive shaft seal and the o-ring on the front of the bearing housing. In order to replace either one you will have to remove the bearing housing to get at them. Start with draining all the gear lube and doing a pressure check. I made my own pressure check hose and use a bike pump to apply the pressure. How this helps. Let us know what you find out

LOWER-UNIT-CAD.jpg