Volvo 4.3 gl won't start

Pwright

Recruit
Started my boat for the first time after being winterized, ran great for 3-4 minutes and then turned off like you turned the key off. I pulled the Holley 2 barrel off and had it rebuilt not knowing if that was the problem but accelerator pump was leaking, put it back on yesterday and still the same problem, it'll run for a slit second and then die every time! Last year had a full tune up ( plugs wires dist cap) and ran great all year, was properly winterized as well! Help please

Phillip

Walt T

Lieutenant
Re: Volvo 4.3 gl won't start

When it dies check for spark and fuel while cranking. Make sure deadman switch is okay.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

What is your full model number?

Sounds like it runs through the fuel in the float chamber and then dies. The fuel pump relay runs while you are cranking or when the alternator is supplying voltage while the engine is running. Sounds like maybe your alternator isn't turning on the fuel pump relay when the engine is running.

Any alternator problems lately?

rkilpa

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Check to make sure there is enough fuel in the fuel/water separater to reach the pump intake. I've had the same problem with my 4.3GL. Added fuel to the canister and the pump was able to prime.