Rope on my prop (VP 5.0Gi PWTR SX-M 1.60)

bvlmv

Seaman
I caught a rope on my prop over the weekend on my and the first thing my engine did was turn off. Not knowing what it was at first I turn it back on and as soon as I tried putting it in gear it stalled out again. I say tried because it felt like the shifter was stuck. I eventually noticied the line and was able to cut it and continue on my way with no problems.
Just want to know if the engine is desgined to turn off like that? If not should I look for anything specific?

Thanks!

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Re: Rope on my prop (VP 5.0Gi PWTR SX-M 1.60)

I caught a rope on my prop over the weekend on my and the first thing my engine did was turn off. Not knowing what it was at first I turn it back on and as soon as I tried putting it in gear it stalled out again. I say tried because it felt like the shifter was stuck. I eventually noticied the line and was able to cut it and continue on my way with no problems.
Just want to know if the engine is desgined to turn off like that? If not should I look for anything specific?

Thanks!

I can understand the engine shutting off. If you have ever taken a lower unit (the foot) apart, you would see how the clutch dog synchronizes with both the forward and rear gears. If the rope kept that prop shaft from rotating, the clutch dog would not mesh properly and stall the engine. Good everything is working right now... Happy boating!

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Re: Rope on my prop (VP 5.0Gi PWTR SX-M 1.60)

Your prop is directly connected to your engine when in gear. If the rope stops the prop, it stops the engine.

By the way, Volvos don't have clutch dogs. They have cone clutches in the upper section of the drive.