volvo 260a engine....bearing grease

josephsiracusa

Seaman Apprentice
i am doing maintanance to my recent purchase of a used boat which contains a volvo 260a engine. i want to grease the intermediate shaft bearings. i was told these type of bearings are called pds bearings (whatever that is???) that they work like a gimble bearing though they are different setup. i noticed in the bilge above the flywheel cover is a nipple which where i beleive within the cover are the bearings and input shaft. is this the right place to grease the so called bearings? if so what type of grease do i use and how many pumps or squirt do i put in? i have a mini grease gun. any help would be apreciated thanks

captmello

Captain
Re: volvo 260a engine....bearing grease

You can use pretty much any grease you want. PDS stands for primary drive shaft. If you don't know any history and haven't greased it before, do this. give it 5 pumps, start the motor to distribute the grease a little, and give it another 5 pumps.

the problem that happens with these is that the grease seals will pop out if you over grease it. Have you had the upper gear box off yet. That will expose the ujoints and the PDS and you can check the PDS bearings for play.

josephsiracusa

Seaman Apprentice

i spoke with previous owner and he says...3 years ago the motor and sterdriver was removed to change the pds bearings, ujoint and bellows, the last time the pds bearing were greased was 3 years ago.....though now that you have mentioned the seals could pop out with overgreasing im afriad to touch it. i plan to have my mechanic install new bellows in 2015...should i leave it for him and do these pds bearings need grease now as 3 years ago was the last time there were greased and if grease needed 5 pumps than run motor than another 5 pumps let me know thanksss

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

new bellows every 2 years on a volvo. inspect every year.

captmello

Captain

new bellows every 2 years on a volvo. inspect every year.

+1, this may be more important than greasing the bearings.

I can't tell you what it looks like inside your flywheel housing so I can't tell you how much grease is in there. Its your call. However, if you do decide to grease it, I would just give it 3-5 pumps and call it good.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Do it while the motors running.