AQ170A / 250 Shifter Assembly and Cable

Hello again all!
I am feeling more confident about my ability to work on this motor but man I?m not buying a 40 year old one again! All right, so I?ve pulled my upper gear unit and worked through placing the shifter in the right orientation. The cable is definitely aftermarket and may not be for this engine, when I try to put it in gear I feel like I?m probably going to break off the handle. It will shift into position but it?s like pulling teeth. I see that the shifter assembly should slide right out of the upper gear unit (doubtful based on other work on this boat). If this is the case, could the ?sliding shoe or claw? or another section of the assembly be the culprit? Should this shift into and out of gear easily by hand when not attached to the shifter cable?
The second obvious situation would be with the cable. There aren?t any loops and the cable doesn?t seem to have any sharp bends but it sounds like hell when you shift it. I think that the main issue is with the cable as it is hard as hell to shift when it is unattached as well.
So I?m looking for some Pro tips on figuring this out, I will try and get some pictures this week. As always thanks for the help! As a side note, just removed the upper gear unit from the drive to change out the bellows, and we have not run it or refilled the box yet. We were just playing with it, after changing out the unit.

captmello

Captain
Re: AQ170A / 250 Shifter Assembly and Cable

You should be able to shift the upper gear box by hand with the cable disconnected, in this case with the upper removed. the shift cable itself sounds like it may be sticky. the only way to tell is to disconnect it from the throttle/shift control and see.

diesel1960

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: AQ170A / 250 Shifter Assembly and Cable

These cable are standard,you can get from marine store.
I would disconnect cable completely and try it.