Volvo stern drive A 130 : Caught some kelps w prop; not boat wont move forward

T2P

Cadet
Hello All.

Over the weekend, my prop got caught in a bed of kelp. Tried to back up. It did. Raised the stern drive and cut out the plants that wrapped around the propeller. :mad:

Now the boat will not move forward. Tried going back to the dock in reverse. It pulls but we just went around in circles whether Im steering left or right. the stern drive is able to move left or right.

Back home, I checked the prop: There is no rotation when the stick is forward. It works only in reverse.

What should I check out and where should I look?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Gil
San Diego,CA

Last edited:

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Re: Volvo stern drive A 130 : Caught some kelps w prop; not boat wont move forward

First check for a spun hub.Put a indelible mark across the the hub and body run it and check the line.
Actually if it won't move you probably could check the prop by hand put it in gear (KEY OFF) turn by hand.

Last edited:

T2P

Cadet
Re: Volvo stern drive A 130 : Caught some kelps w prop; not boat wont move forward

First check for a spun hub.Put a indelible mark across the the hub and body run it and check the line.
Actually if it won't move you probably could check the prop by hand put it in gear (KEY OFF) turn by hand.

The hub looks okay. nothing loose. The markers stayed aligned after engaging the drive. Turning the prop by hand with the drive engaged both ways seemed to have no resistance. I am not sure how much resistance to expect, though.

Putting the lever in reverse turns the prop and the power seems normal. but it stays immobile when put "Forward" at all rpm speeds.

Securing the spline/drive shaft with a vise, i tried turning the prop either way. The hub held and kept the prop from free-wheeling.

Last edited:

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

OK,It appears something else has happened.There is a slim chance that the shift cable has become out of adjustment.
You could try unhooking the cable and see if it shifts by hand.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

Was kelp bed caught at speed in which you had a sudden near dead stop ? If so probably you have internal gear box issues ?

Happy Boating

T2P

Cadet

OK,It appears something else has happened.There is a slim chance that the shift cable has become out of adjustment.
You could try unhooking the cable and see if it shifts by hand.

I checked the shift cable. I think that is the problem. I noticed the protective sheathing/sleeve has broken/cracked and the steel cable is bending when I put the lever in FORWARD. I will do further inspection and tests to confirm the problem cable.

Thank you Supreme Mariner!

T2P

Cadet

Was kelp bed caught at speed in which you had a sudden near dead stop ? If so probably you have internal gear box issues ?

Happy Boating

Hello Captain,

I was sightseeing :laugh: and really going verrrry slow enjoying the sights when I hit the kelp bed. I just turned off the fish finder (shallow water alarm along with it) a few minutes before.

Lessons learned.

I think I found the problem; the shift cable is bending when I shift FORWARD.

Happy boating too, Captain. Are you ready for this year's El Nino? That means the fishes are coming over to our side of the ocean.

Gil
San Diego, CA

T2P

Cadet

As a follow-up, I took out the cable from the shifter and did manual shifting.
Does the prop lock when the gears are engaged either way? Prior to removing the cable, the prop locks only when REVERSED but free-wheels when in FORWARD gear.

The prop is locking both ways when shifting the lever by hand.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

On some motors the prop will ratchet in one direction when in gear ,Merc and Mercruiser.
Other motors the prop will rotate about 1/4 turn in each direction in gear.
From your description it does appear the cable doesn't quite reach forward gear. Temporarily you may be able to adjust it.