Volvo SX-M shift cable problem (BruceB58 please RE- thanks!)

Augoose

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I've got a '99 VP with the SX-M and a OMC side mount throttle control.
A while back I had to replace my shift cable because I accidentally crimped it while removing the outdrive. I pulled the cable, recorded the number stamped on it, and purchased an OMC replacement.

I thought I installed the cable properly however I noticed that the Jam nut runs out of threads before it can line up with the bellcrank slot. Its almost as if the cable is about 1" too long. Its hard to tell in the photo but even if I thread the jam nut all the way on it doesn't reach the bellcrank slot with the lower unit in neutral and the throttle control in neutral.
shift cable.jpg

I verified that I have installed the anchor clamp in the appropriate slot on the shift cable and I thought I installed the throttle control end of the cable in the exact same place as the old cable came out of. The throttle arm operates correctly, as does the throttle control cable, neutral release button, etc. I measured the stroke of the cable and although it is right at the upper tolerance of 1 3/8" (both ways), according to the manual its within spec.

Just for testing purposes, I created a temporary linkage which artificially makes the jab nut make contact with the bellcrank slot - the result was seemingly normal operation - smooth shifting, good throttle control, etc.

What did I do wrong? To further explain the issue if I could get another 1" of threads on the end of the shift cable it would be a non-issue. That way the jam nut would line up with the bellcrank slot.

Could I have the anchor clamp in the wrong position? It seems like there is only one slot on the shift cable where the tabs of the anchor clamp would lock in...
I did of course remove the throttle control when I replaced the cable. I couldn't find a manual on its operation so I did my best to wing it during install. When I reinstalled the throttle control I found the physical center of the forward and reverse movement range and called that neutral (as the throttle control sits on the splined stud), with the throttle arm sticking straight up in 12 o'clock position. Forward and reverse ranges of motion each went to the 10 o'clock and 2 o'clock positions respectively. I'm assuming that that procedure is ok?
thanks!

Last edited:

justinteoc

Seaman
Re: Volvo SX-M shift cable problem

Are you sure it's the correct cable or maybe it is and someone had a bad day at work when it was manufactured.. There is not but one way to install the anchor clamp and you sound like you have it correct.. Is there any adjustment on the control maybe your missing? I can't remember if it was on mine or not...
It may be worth it to find a tap and make more threads and cut off the excess...

Last edited:

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

There is an adjustment up at your control as well. How is it attached?

Augoose

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Thanks guys - the cable connected to the throttle control with a pin and cotter pin, like below...(photos not of my actual components but I recall that's what they look like)

throttle control.jpg cables.jpg

I believe the picture illustrates my control setup but I just can't find a manual anywhere to figure out what I'm doing. I was going to use a die and make new threads like mentioned but I was just worried that I was treating the symptoms and not the cause.

Where might I find the adjustment that was mentioned?

Thanks!

Last edited:

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Make sure that the black barrel up at your control is in the proper location. As shown in the picture there are a couple locations for it

Augoose

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Make sure that the black barrel up at your control is in the proper location. As shown in the picture there are a couple locations for it

Ok, I think I understand the concept. So more than likely my barrel is currently installed in the inner slot (as pictured). If I were to move the barrel to the outer slot, that would effectively pull the cable towards the throttle control handle, thereby exposing less threaded rod at the lower unit - Correct? Am I also correct in assuming that I should not use the upper barrel install options (shown with red x) - seems that is only for the throttle control right?

Untitled.jpg

Last question - because of the design of my boat, removing the throttle control arm is not easy at all. Would it be wrong of me to just use a die and make more threads on the end of the shift cable like Justin mentioned? I was thinking of using a set of locking pliers to keep the shift cable from twisting and just add an inch or so of threads.....

thanks all

Last edited:

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

O If I were to move the barrel to the outer slot, that would effectively pull the cable towards the throttle control handle, thereby exposing less threaded rod at the lower unit - Correct?
That would be correct. I would definitely make the change at the control. Did you change the position of the barrel when you changed the cable?

Augoose

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Did you change the position of the barrel when you changed the cable?

That's the million dollar question! I think I did change the position of the barrel. Because of the cramped nature of where the remote sits and the lack of a manual, I couldn't see exactly what I was doing. When I removed the barrel using just my hands and feeling around, I immediately dropped the whole remote and barrel, thereby never really seeing where the barrel came from. When I re-assembled it I tried to look for a mark to indicate which position it came from but I recall it being tough and not decisive. Looks like I chose wrong because it seems the difference of distance between the two options for where the barrel mounts is the same distance I'm off at the lower unit.

Thanks so much Bruce, I don't know where else I would have found this information!

bajaunderground

Lieutenant

Bruce has helped me on control issues...he's knows his stuff...if you're having issues getting at control, can you remove the whole panel it's attached too, I can work on my that way...

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Thanks so much Bruce, I don't know where else I would have found this information!
And if you ever switch from that OMC control to a Volvo control, you will need to talk to me again!

Augoose

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Bruce has helped me on control issues...he's knows his stuff...if you're having issues getting at control, can you remove the whole panel it's attached too, I can work on my that way...

If I could figure out how to remove the coaming bolster (or whatever the upholstered panel the remote is mounted to is called) that'd be a lot easier, but I can't figure out how to remove it. Once the remote is off I don't see any mounting screws and I don't see any hidden panels which would reveal mounting screws either.

IMG_0601.jpg

And if you ever switch from that OMC control to a Volvo control, you will need to talk to me again!

Just based on that makes me NOT want to ever upgrade! :joyous: Sounds tough! Is there a benefit?

Last edited:

bajaunderground

Lieutenant

My side panels all had inserts with nuts and washers up under the gunnel. Also thru the rear grab handle there. Yours might be different?

Augoose

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I've tried removing the grab handle but it didn't help- unfortunately I don't have gunnels either! The sides are all solid and enclosed

Last edited:

bajaunderground

Lieutenant

Yeah, just studying the pictures, those were most likely attached prior to putting on the cap...I do like the all fiberglass liner. At least your structures mostly safe from moisture?! I can attest that my 1996 has fiberglass stringers (there's still plywood as support under the fiberglass liner and motor mounts though?)

Augoose

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Yeah, I do enjoy the fully encased fiberglass body but it does make these kinds of issues difficult since I can't easily access the guts. Glad to hear that even the 96 line had no wood in the stringers. I haven't actually found any wood on this boat. I've reached beneath the deck and can't feel anything but glass and even the seats have synthetic materials in them with no wood. I would assume the motor mounts and transom has wood but maybe not? Thanks for the help!

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Just based on that makes me NOT want to ever upgrade! :joyous: Sounds tough! Is there a benefit?
Just that my new Volvo control works a heck of a lot smoother than the old OMC one.

Augoose

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Ahhhhh. I can certainly appreciate where you are coming from.

Well this weekend I'll try to remove the remote and see where the barrel is. Hopefully the problem lies in what we discussed.

Thanks again everyone!

Augoose

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Alright so I pulled my remote control out today to see if I could adjust my shift cable. I noticed that both the throttle cable and the shift cable were both mounted on "top" of the remote. The throttle cable barrel is in the outer slot while the shift cable was in the inner slot. I could clearly see where the old shift cable was mounted (at the inner slot) and when I first installed my new shift cable I installed the barrel into the same spot. That's when I noticed the problem trying to thread the jamb nut onto the bellcrank slot at the lower unit.

Just to recap, the problem is when my shift cable is installed into this inner spot on the remote, the shift cable sticks out at the lower unit end too far, by about 1" or so - preventing the jamb nut from reaching the bellcrank slot. If I could move the shift cable barrel (like Bruce said) from the inner slot to the outer slot, that would effectively draw the lower unit end of the cable in, thereby allowing to jamb nut to reach the bellcrank slot- but the throttle cable is already there at the outer slot!

I then tried to move the barrel position for my throttle cable to the inner slot to free up the outer position, however I didn't have enough adjustment at the carburetor end of the throttle cable to make the move. I also couldn't change where the throttle cable mounts to the bracket just behind the carb either.

Since I couldn't find a manual for this remote online, I couldn't figure out what the cable connections were for on the "bottom" of the remote (as seen in the green circle). Seems to me that if I connected my shift cable for example to this connection at the bottom of the remote it would ultimately cause the shift cable to do the exact opposite of what I wanted it to do. Is that correct? Should I have used those connections at the bottom of the remote to free up that outer barrel position?

Remote mod.jpg

Could my new shift cable be the wrong length even though I matched up the numbers when I pulled the old one off? Was my old shift cable modified by Chris Craft for installation into my boat?

Ultimately what I did was to fabricate a modified barrel mount out of some poly I had laying around from a old cutting board. I then mounted the shift cable barrel at the outer location and immediately opposite of the throttle cable - so effectively they are sharing the same mounting position. Its solid and both cables can move freely. As a result, I now have an appropriate length of shift cable exposed at the lower unit end so that I can screw the jamb nut on and make it come into contact with the bellcrank slot. With the exception of a hard shift into reverse problem (which has always existed since I have owned the boat and is present even when shifting the eccentric piston arm with my hand with the shift cable disconnected) it operates fine.

Was mounting both the cables at the same barrel position wrong? Am I missing something?
Thanks!

Last edited:

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Re: Volvo SX-M shift cable problem (BruceB58 please RE- thanks!)

My bet is that your new cable has the barrel in a different position than the old one. The overall length of the cable housing has nothing to do with the issue. Obviously the inner portion would. Out if curiosity, who makes the cable you bought?

If you ever change out your console shifter, you will have to go with a whole new set of cables but at least you will have industry standard ends rather than the OMC weird ends.

Last edited:

Augoose

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Volvo SX-M shift cable problem (BruceB58 please RE- thanks!)

Thanks Bruce- so I guess I'll just leave it be unless I need to replace the remote. The cables I purchased were OMC, presumably old stock.