Volvo 280 removal from transom

Status
Not open for further replies.

jerama88

Cadet
Hi I am trying to remove Volvo Penta 280 drive from transom mount. I have removed bellow hose clamps, steering helmet bolt and water hose. Can some one tell me the easiest way to remove the two pivot pins on holding fork to transom. I have removed locking pins. Do they go in more or do they have to come out to seperate?

captmello

Captain
Re: Volvo 280 removal from transom

The pivot pins can be driven inward. You may need to turn the wheel at the helm to rotate the steering helmet out of the way so the pins can be removed one at a time. I would recommend having the outdrive supported by a stand of some sort. I built a rolling stand. Most maintenance can be done by just removing the upper gear box. And when it comes time to reinstall the outdrive I would suggest intalling the intermediate and lower sections first (as one unit), then install the upper gear gear box. There are a lot of things to line up for the install and I just think its easier that way.

What are you trying to accomplish? Whats the rest of the story?

Last edited:

jerama88

Cadet

The pivot pins can be driven inward. You may need to turn the wheel at the helm to rotate the steering helmet out of the way so the pins can be removed one at a time. I would recommend having the outdrive supported by a stand of some sort. I built a rolling stand. Most maintenance can be done by just removing the upper gear box. And when it comes time to reinstall the outdrive I would suggest intalling the intermediate and lower sections first (as one unit), then install the upper gear gear box. There are a lot of things to line up for the install and I just think its easier that way.

What are you trying to accomplish? Whats the rest of the story?

Thanks a lot for the response, I am trying to swap over a complete drive for another..both 280 drives. The pivot pins are in quite tight..can I just drive them in with a tap from a punch and a hammer or I might have to build some type of tool? I have the drive secured from falling.
mmm..I was really hoping not to pull the drives apart. How much harder is it the way I'm doing it?

captmello

Captain

You can use whatever you want to hammer the pins out. But you dont want to mushroom the ends or they will never come out...You can use some heat if they are really stuck. There are plastic bushings in there you will want to replace. Before installing the new drive I would pull the water intake elbow which sits just below the upper gear box and replace the gasket and/or fitting if it is corroded. Easier to do with the outdrive off, especially if you are not pulling the upper. Put a new ujoint bellows on as well.

You can try to install the outdrive fully assembled and see how it goes. There are a lot of parts to line up doing it that way. It certainly can be done. Removing the upper is just a matter of two bolts and two nuts...But if you separate them you'll want the two orings that go between the upper and intermediate housings. I've never tried to install it whole, so let us know how it goes.;)

Kodjigger

Recruit
Any ideas on how to get this pin out? I tried uploading a pic from my iPhone but no luck. It's a pin that is sticking out and has a bolt inside it...

Last edited:

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Any ideas on how to get this pin out? I tried uploading a pic from my iPhone but no luck. It's a pin that is sticking out and has a bolt inside it...

Please read the Help Tip on top of the page and start a new thread of your own.

You can't post pics until you have 3 posts.

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.