Got the dreaded Volvo fuel pump whine. help!

beason

Petty Officer 1st Class
its intermittent now, but tried to strand me last outing. We stopped to eat, and when we went to leave, it didnt want to start. I finally got it started by easing it into reverse right as it tried to hit, essentially revving it up. the Volvo throttle doesnt have the button to shift to neutral.

During this time (and other times on the water) the fuel pump started with the whining. similar to the old 80s power steering pumps at full tilt.

I noticed when i changed the fuel filter that the painted mating surface was chipping away. I cleaned it with some sandpaper, and put the new filter on, no big deal.

That is until i started researching this issue and found the paint is the trouble maker.

Now, i dont have 600 pet deer laying around to drop on a fuel pump, so i would like to attempt to clean out the pump myself.

Does anyone have any pictures? step by step? RnR instructions? anything? do i need any special tools to complete this?

When i remove the pump, will i have any issues with the fuel in the tank? im assuming gravity would keep it in the tank, but we all know what happens when we assume.

please teach me oh-gods of all things volvo.

monster1

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Got the dreaded Volvo fuel pump whine. help!

It is not hard to do. Just remove the pump from the bracket and put it on a bench. Use a torx screw driver to remove the fuel cell body from the top and bottom of the unit. Clean the water jackets in the hollow body. Use a brush to get any dissolved paint build up from the filter housing. Clean the fuel screens off on the two fuel pumps. Its really easy to see what to do once you have it apart. Also make sure you don't have any corrosion on the connectors to the fuel pump motors. Make sure it is all clean and put it together. Hopefully it should solve your problem.

beason

Petty Officer 1st Class

thanks for the info.

The boat is in storage, and although i have a few tools out there, i dont have everything. does anyone know what i need to just remove the pump? two bolts on the bracket, and the two fuel lines right? metric or SAE?

DCinVA

Seaman Apprentice

There are several threads here where this has been discussed.
The whining fuel pump is likely caused by cavitation (sucking air), and will wear out the pump quickly.
Before tearing apart the fuel pump, I would follow the instructions posted in the Adults only section about testing the fuel system. Following this process will assure there are no issues in the system prior to the pump.
You should also check your fuel pressures, both high and low side if you have EFI.
If you really need to disassemble the pump(s) there are a couple threads that can help.

Sources for O-Rings and some instructions for EFI pumps.
http://forums.iboats.com/volvo-pent...efs-fuel-pump-o-rings-632158.html#post4419814

Some good pictures and instruction here.
http://forums.iboats.com/volvo-pent...roach-volvo-penta-fuel-cell-5-0gi-545407.html

Now I realize you have not posted what year and model engine you have so this information may be totally useless to you.

Good Luck
Dave

DCinVA

Seaman Apprentice

Take a 3/8 drive SAE socket set and a couple of extensions (3" and 6") and a set of SAE open end wrenches for the fuel lines. The big fuel line fitting is 3/4 or 7/8. Probably also a small screwdriver to pry off the clip at the electrical connection, and disconnect the fuel line from the tank. Also need some rags to dry spilled fuel, and something to plug the fuel line once removed.

Maclin

Admiral

Beason, are you saying your control does not have a throttle only mode? Mine is older, but also does not have a button to push but instead the entire handle moves out to access throttle only.

beason

Petty Officer 1st Class

There are several threads here where this has been discussed.
The whining fuel pump is likely caused by cavitation (sucking air), and will wear out the pump quickly.
Before tearing apart the fuel pump, I would follow the instructions posted in the Adults only section about testing the fuel system. Following this process will assure there are no issues in the system prior to the pump.
You should also check your fuel pressures, both high and low side if you have EFI.
If you really need to disassemble the pump(s) there are a couple threads that can help.

Sources for O-Rings and some instructions for EFI pumps.
http://forums.iboats.com/volvo-pent...efs-fuel-pump-o-rings-632158.html#post4419814

Some good pictures and instruction here.
http://forums.iboats.com/volvo-pent...roach-volvo-penta-fuel-cell-5-0gi-545407.html

Now I realize you have not posted what year and model engine you have so this information may be totally useless to you.

Good Luck
Dave

Sorry i thought it was in the sig. IT is an 05 chaparral with the 5.0L volvo penta GX-I engine.

beason

Petty Officer 1st Class

Beason, are you saying your control does not have a throttle only mode? Mine is older, but also does not have a button to push but instead the entire handle moves out to access throttle only.

does it? all ive ever owned before was mercs, and the pivot was a button for neutral. Ill have to look into this.

Maclin

Admiral

I put my right hand behind the lever and rotate my wrist to the right, moves out evenly that way.

NoExcuses

Seaman

You should also check the screen on the fuel pressure regulator.

Slip Away

Lieutenant

Now, i dont have 600 pet deer laying around to drop on a fuel pump, so i would like to attempt to clean out the pump myself.

:happy: Obviously a regular on the Chaparral Owners Forum with the "600 deer" comment. No rules here about posting the word "dollars"

As far as the pump goes, sometimes a re-build cleaning will work, but most often just a band aid. Likely you will have to replace the pump. Good Luck

beason

Petty Officer 1st Class

:happy: Obviously a regular on the Chaparral Owners Forum with the "600 deer" comment. No rules here about posting the word "dollars"

As far as the pump goes, sometimes a re-build cleaning will work, but most often just a band aid. Likely you will have to replace the pump. Good Luck

ha ha!! yea, i originally wrote it so i could post in both places, but i havent posted it there yet. Seems a lot less DIY and a lot more "throw money at it" type folks over there.

beason

Petty Officer 1st Class

I plan to tackle it this friday and weekend, since we are forecast for rain all weekend. I have sent messages to both chap and volvo to see if there is any type of recall or warranty offered. Im not very optimistic, but maybe my request will get them looking into the issue at least.

monster1

Petty Officer 3rd Class

A guy on another forum was bragging about the money he saved by cleaning his fuel pump rather than replacing it. He got a couple good week's out of it until the tow bill cost him more than the fuel pump. I cleaned mine but ended up replacing it anyway after the whine came back.

Last edited:

beason

Petty Officer 1st Class

yea, if the whine comes back, ill just replace it.

beason

Petty Officer 1st Class

well, that was a bust. I got it off, and back home. cleaned up and tried to get it apart. its stuck. even with a BMF hammer its not budging. guess im buying a new pump.

i did notice when i was taking it apart. i didnt see any screens in the high pressure lines. and one was even missing the o-ring. is this normal?

beason

Petty Officer 1st Class

so i need to know the exact part # i need for this thing. Anyone have it?