Volvo Penta Cobra SX outdrive Prop shaft seals

bbold1

Recruit
Hello everyone, This is my first visit.
I have a 1997 Four Winns 258 Vista with 5.7 Volvo Penta Engine And Cobra SX out drive. I know im getting water in my lower unit. I am looking for help in learning how to pull and change the Prop Shaft seals and O rings.
I have a manual but am in no way any kind of real mechanic ( Electrician by trade).
I have looked all over for any helpful videos but can not find any.
I would appreciate any help offered.
Thank You All
Bob

Last edited by a moderator:

alldodge

Staff member
Re: Volvo Penta Cobra SX outdrive Prop shaft seals

:welcome: to iboats

I'm not a Volvo guru but maybe my posting will be noted by those that are. Mercruiser as well as Volvo drives they all need special tools. Most the time when a seal fails it could be just the seal but it could also be from a bearing failing. If a bearing starts to fail more movement happens and then the seal starts to leak, so just replacing the seal may not fix the issue. Have you obtained any of the tools necessary for the seal removal and installation?

Corian35

Cadet

hsg-tool1.jpghsg-tool2.jpgLOWER-UNIT-CAD.jpg

Hope this helps. I am in the process of rebuilding my SX drives. Had to make a special tool to remove the bearing housing. This is where the drive shaft seal is installed. you have to remove tthe bearing housing to replace the seal since it is installed from the inside. I have attached some solid models I created of the lower unit to make the tool. I have the prints for the tool also if you need them.

alldodge

Staff member

sure wish some of the Volvo dudes would help. Appears the seal type is pretty much a similar setup with Merc. To remove the seals it will also (I'm guessing) take special tools to remove/replace the seals

Have you looked here for your model of SX (There are a few different ones). I think this is yours and it list special tools

Boatinfo - Volvo Penta SX-S SternDrive Service Manual

Jammer864

Petty Officer 2nd Class

bbold1, the job can be as easy as using the special tool to remove the housing, and using the special tool to install the seal. No shim changes or checking needed. One thing that should be done, though, is to check the rolling torque after re-installing the housing to make sure the bearing is still properly preloaded. Theoretically, using the same housing and just replacing the prop shaft seal, nothing should change, but if the preload gets out of limits, then you are going to have to spend ALOT more money. The proper rolling torque comfirms that the 225# of torque on the housing, along with the shims installed, are preloading the bearing properly. To check rolling torque, you need an inch/ft torque wrench that reads from 0 to 25 inch/pounds. It just measures the breakaway and rolling friction while turning the shaft which relates to how much pressure is on the bearing. So, you need the housing tool, the correct seal driver so as to not damage the new seal during install, and the torque wrench. When removing the bearing housing, make sure to remove the torx head bolt as well as the two other bolts before trying to turn the bearing housing off. See items D, E, and F, in the linked manual on page 4-3.

Besides the bearing being bad and causing seal failure, the shaft can be bent too. Check runout on the shaft before proceeding so you dont end up with seal failure again too soon.

Last edited:

djrevkev

Cadet
Does anyone have the part number for the seal kit for this carrier. I need to replace mine.