Question about Kill Switch?

oscales

Cadet
Good afternoon forum. I have a 1987 Sun Runner 225CV, I'm trying to determine what this button does in relation to engine starting.
1st, when the key is turned to the run position nothing happens
2nd, when this button is pressed the gauges react, however the motor, starter does nothing.
3rd, see pic of button/switch below. TIA for any assistance.

100_2743.jpg

Last edited:

Lone Duck

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: Question about Kill Switch?

The top part of button with lanyard is missing. If you hold that button in , turn key to run position the gauges will light up indicating that your ignition is on. If you now turn key to start position , your starter should engage and engine should start.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

The kill switch is inline after your ignition switch. You starter will actually operate without the lanyard on there but the engine won't start as the kill switch will be preventing power to reach your ignition circuit.

oscales

Cadet

Thanks Lone Duck, do you know what type of switch cap it takes for this to work?

oscales

Cadet

The kill switch is inline after your ignition switch. You starter will actually operate without the lanyard on there but the engine won't start as the kill switch will be preventing power to reach your ignition circuit.

Hey bruceb58, I get no joy when attempting to start the engine, even with swich button pushed in. Any Recs?
Thanks.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

When you say start, does that mean the starter doesn't operate or the engine doesn't start and run?

oscales

Cadet

Both, I have attempted to troubleshoot the problem using DonS method.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Have a link to the checklist you were using?

Console shifter in neutral?

What engine are you working on?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

What is the history of you and this boat?
Has it ever worked for you?

oscales

Cadet

I haven't had the engine running in the boat but running out of the boat briefly.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

On your starter solenoid there is one large stud that connects to your battery and 2 smaller lugs. One connects to the circuit that goes to your ignition switch start terminal and the other goes to your coil. You sure you have those on the correct posts?

While turning the ignition switch to start, measure the voltage at the terminal. If you don't get voltage there, start working your way back to the ignition switch. You may have a slave solenoid between there and the ignition switch.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

This is what I am talking about here:
attachment.php

B would be the terminal you need to check.

oscales

Cadet

I have checked the pertinent switches and post according to Don S recs. Non of them have produced desired results. I will recheck and get post results tomorrow since sun is gone and moon is out.
Thanks for all your help. Maybe a nights rest will produce better results in the am.

Lone Duck

Master Chief Petty Officer

YUP! I stand corrected!