Volvo 280 input shaft frozen in the housing?

72fj40

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'm working on a Volvo 280 outdrive from a 77 23' Chris Craft Lancer Overnighter. I'm wanting to service the bearings, seals & bellows. I thought the input shaft was suppose to slide out of the intermediate housing. This puppy is solidly stuck. Am I missing something? If not, does anybody have any ideas on how to remove it? Seeing the housing is aluminum I'd hate to break it. Thanks By the way, what a great site.

Attachments

• IMG_0583.jpg
    IMG_0583.jpg
    146.8 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Re: Volvo 280 input shaft frozen in the housing?

The u-joints should slide off.(SHOULD)
If not then WD or and spray then heat.
The housing is only $1000
Then cool then heat.Then a slide hammer.You can hook up a slider and put some force on it.
There are 3 snap rings in there.

72fj40

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks, jerryjerry for the reply. I did do some searching on the subject B4 posting. All I could find was to unbolt the upper gear box & slide it out, but I could not find any pics of the parts when seperated, so I did not know how it comes apart. I have been periodocally soaking it w/PB, but no luck yet. I'll get back to the project in a week or 2. This boat sort of fell into our lap & has not been in the water since 05. The engine is locked & cracked along w/the manifolds, so retreiving the intermediate housing was on the agenda. The plan is to adapt a good used 350 SBC which will be marinized and we will also be adapting a complete mercruser cooling system to it. The budget is tight & time is on our side.

I apologize for not using the proper terminology in my previous post, I will try to do better in the future.
Thanks, Ken

captmello

Captain

The trouble with spraying the PB down the snout is that the ujoint yoke with the female end is over the drive shaft coming from the flywheel cover, so you are spraying the backside of the yoke. I'd move to the slide hammer. Good luck!