DP290A removal of hinge Pins??????

Greg68S

Petty Officer 1st Class
1990 Carver 2357 Montego
AQ271C 5.7L GM V8
VP DP290A

I am pulling my engine for a rebuild and need to get me drive off. I have done everything except get the hinge pins pulled out. i removed the lock bolts but im kind of stuck on how i pull out the pins. they are threaded on the inside and looks like maybe a slide hammer. Any insight gentlemen?

K-2

Chief Petty Officer
Re: DP290A removal of hinge Pins??????

Slide hammer works, lots of guys just beat them "in" after moving the steering all the way one way, then the other.
If they are tight you might have to heat up the aluminum surrounding the pin.

Greg68S

Petty Officer 1st Class

I like the idea of a slide hammer and a little heat. I'm not a fan of beating the snot of something that could cost me $12k to replace. Is there a special slide hammer or just a standard body slide hammer?

K-2

Chief Petty Officer

Beat might have been the wrong word. I have never encountered a stuck pin, so "tapping" might be a better word.
Any slide hammer should work. I have tapped mine in before but I usually use a simple puller I made, a piece of all thread and a short piece of pipe that has an ID slightly bigger than the pin, screw the all thread in and slide on the pipe with a big washer and nut and tighten nut, it slowly pulls the pin into the piece of pipe. If this is your last step all the weight can be on the pins making them harder
to slide out, some way to support some of the weight might make it easier. I put Volvo prop grease on mine when going back together.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

I took a pipe, cut it to about a 2" length and at 10 degree angle. threaded a full-thread bolt with a jam nut and some washers in and pulled the pins out on mine.

make sure you lower the outdrive onto a block of wood

Greg68S

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ok. So the motor is ready to come out, so I think. Everything is disconnected. Mounts ,wires, hoses, all bolts that we know of. All 6 bolts were removed from around the gimbal bearing. Shouldn't the shaft pull right through? It's not budging. The whole plate moves but the shaft won't leave the bearing. I'm confused. Any ideas or insight is greatly appreciated.

Greg68S

Petty Officer 1st Class

image.jpg6 bolts removed. The plate moves around but the shaft will not pull through.

Scott Danforth

Staff member

the shaft comes out with the motor. at least on mine it did. I have a 2-bearing pds. its part of the flywheel cover assembly.

you are at the point to lift and move forward if your pulling your motor.

you can download the service manuals Publication search - Publication Search : Volvo Penta

Greg68S

Petty Officer 1st Class

What is the that seal behind the round plate that I took the 6 bolts out of. I would imagine that I have to pull it out and replace along with the gimbal bearing

Scott Danforth

Staff member

that seal is the outer o-ring. there is an inner o-ring as well. it will become obvious when you lift the motor and slide forward a bit, then out. A motor tilter is recommended.

you have PDS bearings, not a gimbal bearing. similar in nature, different in terminology.

Greg68S

Petty Officer 1st Class

The shaft will not separate from the seal plate. I read that I can take one of the bolts I removed and place it in one of the other holes to split the seal and get it out.

Scott Danforth

Staff member

yes, you need to use one of the bolts, put it into the jacking screw hole (I believe top at 12 oclock) and remove the clamp ring.

under there you will find a large o-ring - there is the same o-ring on the motor side of the transom shield.

I simply put a screw driver between the clamp ring and the transom sheild and put a little side pressure on it. it is just stuck to the o-ring.

This image shows the clamp ring and the PDS housing http://www.volvopentastore.com/mall/image/view/7/6/9265_1.png

Greg68S

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ok. I'll try that and get back to you later.

Greg68S

Petty Officer 1st Class

It worked. Thanks a lot. Now it's off to the machine shop. Thanks for all the insight.

Scott Danforth

Staff member

I would build a stroker and go with vortec heads

Greg68S

Petty Officer 1st Class

Why a stroker? I'm afraid of putting to much torque to the DP290A. I don't want to blow it apart. Although I will admit that was my first thought. Then I thought stainless props. But with a volvo dp I don't really think SS is necessary. Will I still notice a big difference with a stroked motor and aluminum props? I already have vortec heads.

Last edited:

Scott Danforth

Staff member

your DP290A will handle anything a stroker or a bigblock will put to it. It is actually stronger than a Bravo3

yes, you will notice a huge difference.

I have also done the vortec heads along with a decent cam and roller rockers, and now I am wanting the stroker. I am actually trying to justify pulling the motor and rebuilding the long block into a stroker myself. more importantly, I am trying to convince the admiral that it is necessary.

Since you are in the process of a fresh build and you have the DP290, Using a 350 block - I would build either a 383 (.030" overbore and 3.75" stroke) or a 396 (0.030" overbore and 3.875" stroke). there is more clearancing with the 396.

get the proper D-shaped pistons to get the proper quench for torque. you should be able to hit about 400hp easy on a cast steel crank and hypereutectic pistons with very little more money. and most importantly, jump up in pitch to a B7 or B8 prop and get better fuel economy on cruise while hitting a higher top speed. No need to go nuts with a forged bottom end unless you want to throw on a Magnuson Supercharger in the future.

Greg68S

Petty Officer 1st Class

The admiral in my navy will have me in the brig faster than I can blink. But..... It's still tempting. The problem I run into now is that I'm not sure how long we will have this boat. We really want to get to something in the 30 to 34 foot range. So is it worth putting all that power $$$ into? It is after all a mid cabin cruiser.

Greg68S

Petty Officer 1st Class

Im going to ask my engine builder for a quote on building a 396. If the engine is in good shape and only needs a refresh then it will just be rings, bearings, oil pump, timing chain and I will be doing the heads. If the cylinders need more than a honing, we will be looking into a full rebuild (aka 396 stroker)The problem I'm having is a valve issue but figured what the hell pull it and make sure it's all good. The engine has 837hrs on it.

Greg68S

Petty Officer 1st Class

How do you remove these rams from the transom shield?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    143.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited: