Volvo 290 outdrive

Durango318

Seaman
Hello everybody I just bought a 38ft Gibson house boat, it has a a volvo 225 engine, it has a volvo out drive, 290 is printed on the side, my question is how do I change the gear oil in this thing? Do I need to haul it out of water to change the oil, that could get expensive real quick.

captmello

Captain
Re: Volvo 290 outdrive

Yep, you need to pull it. The drain plug is on the bottom of the outdrive. You're not the first houseboat owner to post a question like this. If you do decide to haul it out, plan to also change the ujoint bellows.

Durango318

Seaman

Thanks for you response, what about suctioning oil from the fill hole on top of the stern drive? Maybe suction it, fill it, drive boat for couple minutes, then suction and fill again maybe do that a couple more times?

Durango318

Seaman

The reason I ask is the boat has not been out of the water for five+ years I plan on hauling it out for bottom paint, but the haul out place is a good 4 to 5 hour boat ride. I can almost bet the oil hasn't been changed. It's in the ca delta.

captmello

Captain

The fill hole is not on top. the dipstick is on top and the hole is quite small. There is also a screen between the intermediate and lower gear case so even if you managed to get a small hose in the dipstick hole, you wouldn't be able to get to the bottom. If the dipstick is accessible while the boat is in the water, why not just check it to see where the level is, and to see the condition of the fluid. I would run the engine and shift it in and out of gear to stir the oil up a bit before checking. if there is a proper amount of oil in the outdrive, drive it to the haul out place as is.

Or is there more to the story you're not sharing with us.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

You have to get the drive out of the water to change the oil. As captmello said, you also want to change the u-joint bellows.

Impossible to change gear lube with suction.

Pesimist

Seaman

Have you considered "high siding" the boat on a sand bar during high tide? Could be a very dicey operation unless you know what your doing and have everything you think you"ll need.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Have you considered "high siding" the boat on a sand bar during high tide? Could be a very dicey operation unless you know what your doing and have everything you think you"ll need.
There are many things that go wrong with this idea that it shouldn't even be considered an option.

Walt T

Lieutenant

Pulling houseboats out of the water is part of owning a houseboat. You gotta do what ya gotta do.