Volvo 280PT X dimension ??????

matty_boy

Recruit
I have been doing some research on my 1968 Donzi Hornet project. It originally came with a Holman Moody 289 and a Volvo Penta AQ200 from the factory. Over it's life it has been updated to a Volvo Penta 280 PT in the mid 1990's. I guess there are some differences in the drive leg length from the 200 to the 280 . they re used the aq200 hole and just drilled the trim lines holes in . The anti ventilation plate is well below the keel line. this seems to be a common problem on many of the older Volvo Donzi classics as they were updated to newer volvo aq drives over their 40 years,
I did a search and could not find any info or diagrams for the placement of the transom cut out for the 200 250 270 280 and 290 drives. any info or help is greatly appreciated.

Thank You

Mattyboy
The Lake George Donzi Classic Club
www.lgdonziclassic.com

My Ride

matty_boy

Recruit
Re: Volvo 280PT X dimension ??????

Thanks great Info

would you consider the 280 and 290 drives that needed to be lower than the keel or the 200 250 and 270 drives with the older style anti ventilation plate?

the older Volvo donzi classic community has been having some great success with the new solas titan props very efficient, good handling and performance. they run well even in disturbed water

HorizonblueDK

Petty Officer 1st Class

As far as I remember, the 200-270 drives were also meant to be submerged, so the anti vent plate was below the keel.

Anyway, I would always prefer the 280-290 drives for their more hydro dynamic shape. The 200-270 drives looks more bulky. In real life, I don't know how much, if there even is any, speed gain with the 280 over the 270.

I have a 17 feet runabout with a 270 outdrive(vent plate is under the keel). Before the season starts, I will replace the lowerunit with a 280 I have laying around.

Fun Times

Staff member

In real life, I don't know how much, if there even is any, speed gain with the 280 over the 270.

I have a 17 feet runabout with a 270 outdrive(vent plate is under the keel). Before the season starts, I will replace the lowerunit with a 280 I have laying around.
I hope you'll let us know someday.:)

HorizonblueDK

Petty Officer 1st Class

I hope you'll let us know someday.:)

Well, we will actually never know, cause I've never gone full throttle with the boat. :D

I bought the boat as a project, and after it was restored(last year), I have taken 4-5 trips on the lakes where there are speed limits. My plan was to replace the lowerunit as a part of the restore, but didn't have time to do it, since I need the gears from the 270. So if I was going to test the boat before the season ended, the outdrive swap would have to wait.

Fun Times

Staff member

Well, we will actually never know, cause I've never gone full throttle with the boat. :D
Hum I see!

Lol, I don't think I have ever driven a boat that has not been to full throttle at some point in time.:lol::D