Volvo stern drive hinge pins

In4apenny

Cadet
Hi, 1st post, but have been lurking for awhile, reading many of your great posts. Long story short, I'm building a houseboat
And to power it am considering an old AQ130/ 250. The year I guess is 1970. The unit is in great shape with lots of new parts. 1st step is to remove from 17' trihull. I do have the SELOC manual and have followed the instructions as well as I can. I seem to be hung up at the hinge pins. I used a punch and gave it some good whacks but haven't had any movement. SELOC says use heat for reluctant threads...do you think that would help for the pins?
Thanks.

captmello

Captain
Re: Volvo stern drive hinge pins

Welcome!

Yes heat could be helpful. There are plastic bushings in there so it could get a bit messy. Its important not to mushroom the pins, so don't get to crazy with the hammering. I assume you are driving them inward, toward the center...

Careful with the seloc manual, they are not always accurate. You can see the OEM manual at this site. The OEM manuals are limited as well.

Boatinfo - The library, containing manuals, brochures and other technical documents from the last hundred years!

I will say, that, IMO, that drivetrain would not be my first choice for a project like yours. But its your project.:)

In4apenny

Cadet

Captmello, thanks so much for your speedy reply. 30 sec of MAPP gas did the trick.
The pins came out as advertised!
Next problem is breaking loose the spline but I'll start a separate thread for that.
In regards to my choice of drive units, I'll agree that there are better choices. I would love to do electric drive like the Torqeedo but got scared off by the $20,000 price tag for 20 HP. I've seen several posts and videos of home brew outboard conversions and such and have considered mating an ETEK with the volvo I/O.

I've been told that my design should only take 30 HP to make hull speed of about 7 knots or so which is plenty since my main consideration is economical cruising.

jeffnick

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I'd love to see a pic of that 17' houseboat.

You're gonna run into a lot of mods necessary to adapt something to the Aquamatic 250...a brand new outboard might be cheaper. Personally, I'd see about getting the 4 banger up to the task.

What range do you have in mind?

Pic of my friends 'toon houseboat...
IMAG3464.jpg

Last edited:

In4apenny

Cadet

Hi Jeffnick,
Thanks for the reply. The 17' is the unit with the good volvo, I'm building a 25' and will maybe put that unit in it.
Lots of ifs and as you say lots of mods. Pictures will be forthcoming. It seems I read that you must have 25 posts to be able to put photos up. Maybe I'll put upa Wordpress blog and post the link.