Calling VOLVO PENTA Experts!! 270T/280T hydraulic trim help needed

69SuperSport

Cadet
I have been researching the early hydraulic trim Volvo units for quite some time and it appears there is a tremendous amount of confusion out there. To begin with, these drives have a single hydraulic trim cylinder mounted at the bottom of the transom shield like the one on the right:

magCCcompare_zps60a038c3.jpg

Most of these units came with 4 and 6 cylinders attached to them. As you can see below the 6 cylinder (B30) primary shaft housing is 1 inch longer than the normal v8. Enter exhibit B:

PDSproblem_zps2703001f.png

If anyone out there has a Chevy v8 running a Volvo 270T or 280T I would GREATLY appreciate understanding what housing you are using or what mods you have made to get it to work.

Thanks in advance!
Jim

alldodge

Staff member
Re: Calling VOLVO PENTA Experts!! 270T/280T hydraulic trim help needed

No expert but will comment to put you message back to the top
A bump bump thing

Edit: almost forgot :welcome: to iboats

K-2

Chief Petty Officer

Not an expert. But it seems to me the transom shields must be different, do you have a V8 transom shield or just the 6 cyl?
In ur pic u have the dumb end of the ruler on the face of the drive housing that meets the transom shield, that face on the transom shield is more forward or aft on that specific transom shield depending on if it is a 6 or 8 cyl. That way the same amount sticks out the back?
I'm really just guessing here. Don't you need the V8 transom shield for the exhaust also ?
In other words, the transom shield must "match" the drive housing. (?)

69SuperSport

Cadet

Not an expert. But it seems to me the transom shields must be different, do you have a V8 transom shield or just the 6 cyl?
In ur pic u have the dumb end of the ruler on the face of the drive housing that meets the transom shield, that face on the transom shield is more forward or aft on that specific transom shield depending on if it is a 6 or 8 cyl. That way the same amount sticks out the back?
I'm really just guessing here. Don't you need the V8 transom shield for the exhaust also ?
In other words, the transom shield must "match" the drive housing. (?)

Hi K2 and AllDodge,

The wide end of the bellhousing is different depending on the engine used but the measurement between the face of the transom shield to the bellows snap "should be the same" for all Volvo Pentas according to many seasoned mechanics I have spoken to over the years. Everyone is dumbfounded to see a difference and apparently the 270T is the only system that is different in that particular measurement hence my problem. In researching over the years I have never come across a v8 housing with the extra inch so I am hoping someone here can shed some light in this issue.

As far as 6 or 8 cylinder transom shield differences, there should be no difference except how the exhaust is routed. I have "straight through the hull" exhaust so this is not an issue at all.

The transom shield "must match the drive housing" is true. I am just looking for find what others are using to connect a v8 to the 270T transom housing because as far as I can tell Volvo did not make a "longer" v8 housing. Maybe Wakasha or Holman Moody had a special housing?

Help!!! I need to get this beauty on the water this year.

alldodge

Staff member

69SuperSport, When I first looked at your pics I could see what your discussing but had no answers, as before no expert. Just noticed no one responded for the whole day so I responded just to bump you back up. Doing this usually gets noticed by more folks and then the experts come in. All I can say is the regular Volvo guru's must be on vacation. There are also others in this section that have not received any response. There has been more then 100 views of this thread so far. Wish I could help, I'll look around to see if I can come up with something.

69SuperSport

Cadet

Thanks for the visibility bump!! Its an interesting issue for sure and only very experienced Volvo old timers will likely have any answers.

I sure hope I can resolve this as I do like the 270T drive setup regardless of some other opinions out there... all hydraulic and it works very well. When the drive is in the fully down position pressure pumps the trim cylinder at the bottom of the transom. Once its fully extended a relief valve opens and the pressure is directed to the lift system which is also all hydraulic as well. If I can just resolve the spline overlap issue and the drive bellows fit I am optimistic this drive will work well for years to come. I have had the boat over mph but the spline connection failed and me research has uncovered the difference in the shaft housing as described above. I wonder if other folks with 270Ts are just running with stock v8 shaft housings and are unaware of the issue? That is what I hope to uncover.

69SuperSport

Cadet

Anyone familiar with an extended Primary Shaft Housing?

69SuperSport

Cadet

RESOLVED! POSTING THIS FOR POSTERITY!!

Apparently the 270T is so exceedingly rare that no one here was familiar with this issue... Fortunately I am desperate enough have insomnia so through other measures I was able to confidently confirm what is going on here.

270T and 280PT transom shields ARE DEFINITELY 1" DEEPER than stock 270/280 units and therefore require a shaft housing that is also 1" longer than other 270/280 units. 270Ts were pretty rare to begin with, most were hooked up to 4 and 6 cylinders with 1 piece housings. The few that were hooked up to v8s utilized a 2 piece flywheel cover/shaft housing combo with the flywheel portion either Ford or Chevy and shaft housing portion extended 1" and supplied by Holman Moody with a 1" extended shaft inside as well. I found the last extended setup on this planet and paid through the wazzoo for it but its on its way and it will enable my boating season to be a great one.

NOTE: I am not referring to the longer units that place the engine further forward for weight distribution... this extension is specifically within the transom area.

Just remember if you have an early power trim unit you need an extended shaft housing for the deeper transom!
best of luck!
Jim

Last edited:

alldodge

Staff member

Jim, glad you got it figured out. Looks like you were probably right that even the pros here didn't have knowledge of what your issue was, or how to help. Hope if you have other questions in the future the folks here will be able to help.

Hope you have a great boating year