Volvo Penta Shifter with Trim Throttle Issue

rickyregal

Recruit
Installed a new Volvo penta shifter with trim and noticed that when you move the shifter forward its smooth but the more you move it forward the stiffer it starts getting. It does the same thing in reverse. Not sure if its a cable issue or do I need to adjust throttle friction screw? How can I troubleshoot to see which one it is. If its the screw how do I actually do it. I know where the screw is, but is there a process like can I do it in neutral or do I need to put the shifter in throttle mode and then turn the screw counter clockwise?

Last edited:

alldodge

Staff member
Re: Volvo Penta Shifter with Trim Throttle Issue

Installed a new Volvo penta shifter with trim and noticed that when you move the shifter forward its smooth but the more you move it forward the stiffer it starts getting. It does the same thing in reverse. Not sure if its a cable issue or do I need to adjust throttle friction screw? How can I troubleshoot to see which one it is. If its the screw how do I actually do it. I know where the screw is, but is there a process like can I do it in neutral or do I need to put the shifter in throttle mode and then turn the screw counter clockwise?

Not knowing exactly which one you have I'll say this: The adjustment screw on most throttle controls is called a friction screw. I provides resistance to keep the throttle where you want it without having to hold it in position. If you back it off to much the throttle will start backing off on it's own and speed will reduce. Adjustment with the ability to run the boat is best to give you real world feedback.

rickyregal

Recruit

Not knowing exactly which one you have I'll say this: The adjustment screw on most throttle controls is called a friction screw. I provides resistance to keep the throttle where you want it without having to hold it in position. If you back it off to much the throttle will start backing off on it's own and speed will reduce. Adjustment with the ability to run the boat is best to give you real world feedback.

Its a side mount not sure the model I would have to get back with you with the info. But it looks like this Volvo Penta Single Lever Side Mount Throttle Shifter Control with Trim 7204215 | eBay

Is there a way to determine if its the cable or the throttle screw. I don't remember the throttle been that stiff when accelerating. Its not stiff when getting out of neutral it just gets worse the more you accelerate.

alldodge

Staff member

Its a side mount not sure the model I would have to get back with you with the info. But it looks like this Volvo Penta Single Lever Side Mount Throttle Shifter Control with Trim 7204215 | eBay

Is there a way to determine if its the cable or the throttle screw. I don't remember the throttle been that stiff when accelerating. Its not stiff when getting out of neutral it just gets worse the more you accelerate.

It will always be harder to move when the engine is not running, and I take it this is not your issue. With that, disconnect the throttle and shift cables at the engine. Just let the cables lay without being connected to the carb (don't know what engine) or the shift plate, then try the throttle control. If it is now easy, then it's not the throttle.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Sounds like its the throttle cable and not the shift cable.

You can operate the lever without putting the drive into gear. You have the same problem when you do that?

My Volvo control is a little different than yours. Mine does not have a friction screw that I know of.

Last edited:

rickyregal

Recruit

Sounds like its the throttle cable and not the shift cable.

You can operate the lever without putting the drive into gear. You have the same problem when you do that?

My Volvo control is a little different than yours. Mine does not have a friction screw that I know of.

Yes Bruce it does the same thing on throttle only mode.

alldodge

Staff member

Yes Bruce it does the same thing on throttle only mode.

Then just remove the throttle cable and try it. If it is still hard to move it may be as easy as backing off the friction screw a tad.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Couple things...

Try removing the cable from the control like Dodge said and try it or at the carb and try it.

If the cable runs by the exhaust and you have ever had an overheat condition, the cable housing could have gotten damaged by the heat. Check out how it is routed near the exhaust system.