Volvo Penta AQ170 Oil Cooler Seal Issue

Hello everyone, first time full boat owner and brand new to this forum. I am a novice when it comes to mechanical issues so here it goes? Bought a Starcraft Islander ?74 with original inline 6 AQ170(?) ? B30 with a 250 outdrive. I have deduced this from the posts on here, internet etc. Acquired the boat with some interesting ?modifications?, the water intake is now via a through hull, the 250 outdrive no longer takes in water (maybe). I am trying to fix a leak at the oil cooler where the return from the water pump is and the gasket is leaking badly (pipe to oil cooler). The way this is currently set up is the return water line is strapped to the deck with a aluminum pipe restraint (for residential plumbing) to keep it from cheating out from back pressure. So, can I replace the seal on the water line (assuming the oil coolers isn?t severely pitted) and how do I do this correctly (doesn?t look press fit based on spare parts on ebay). Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

diesel1960

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Volvo Penta AQ170 Oil Cooler Seal Issue

Hi welcome to forum.
Can you attached photo ,how your pipe to oil cooler is connected ?
Also is interesting how your intake works.
I have two of these engines working in my boat,great engine but getting obsolete.

Hey everyone, sorry for the late reply I appreciate all the help and comments thus far. I realized what the issue is/was, at some point in the engines lifetime the coolant pipe was dropped and bent to all hell. The part mentioned (#33) is no longer in production. Eventually I am replacing the coolant pipe with an appropriate size steel-flex II line. I will have brass hose barbs soldered into the oil cooler and intake/exhaust water circ pump. Due to the through hull I installed a raw water strainer as well. I feel that there may be damage to the circ pump as I found pieces of plastic in the oil cooler (intake side). So once I get the alternator rebuilt (separate issue) I should be good (maybe).

Here’s another fun one, I wanted to install an inline fuse for the electrical system, doesn’t exist on these models. I believe that they sell a battery switch with these already installed, any thoughts? It’s easier to change a fuse than a starter / alternator! The other option as I understand it is to install a new battery line(s) with the fuse attachment.

Thanks again and any comments about the above are welcome! Also, I hate soldering pipe, which is why I’d prefer the steel-flex as above.
005.jpg

Last edited:

diesel1960

Petty Officer 1st Class

There is no plastic parts in the circulating pump,there are still parts available for this engine on Ebay.
I also have arsenal of parts,if you need anything contact me ,good luck.

HorizonblueDK

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ahh, the good old Volvo AQ170:)

I have one in my Draco 1700. When I bought the boat, there was a lot of cleaning up to do in the engine bay.

The oil cooler was leaking and I didn't like the cupper pipes surrounding the engine. It was also a nightmare to get to the oil filter. So I decided to install a remote oil filter and a standard Bowman oil cooler (fraction of the cost of a Volvo) and ditch the cupper pipes in favour of regular hoses.

Here is the engine, before it went into the boat again.

Regarding the fuse. I don't have a fuse to protect the starter/alternator, but off course fuses to protect everything else. I think that's how it is on a lot of boats.

diesel1960

Thanks for the info on the circ pump, I have the seyloc manual now but havent gotten into it yet. Not sure where it came from but there it was sitting at one end of the cooler. I'll definately contact you for a parts quote when I get there!

HorizonblueDK

Looks like a good rebuild, how long have you had one? Im sure that I'm looking at a new exhaust manifold in the next few years (hoepfully not months) any other issues? In regards to the fuse placement, actually a lot of newer vessesl have inline power fuses / breaks for the main power. Precisely to avoid grounding out your main battery and frying your alternator etc. These older models didn't have em, they're built like tanks which is something I wish we could get back to in manufacturing but hey it is what it is. The reason I'm considering one is that a tow back to the dock is always nice to have but just pulling a fuse, and checking you lines is much easier on your stress level and wallet!

I have a lot to do to get her back to good working order but I feel it'll be a great boat once I'm finished, obviously engine before everything else! Thanks for all the help!

HorizonblueDK

Petty Officer 1st Class

I've had the boat/engine since December 2011, but the boat wasn't seaworthy until August last year. To clean up the mess from the previous owner, was quite a task, took longer than expected.

The exhaust manifold for this engine, is still available new, original(#856095) and aftermarket (HGE 6095), but quite expensive.

It's a good old simple engine, but a little thirsty. The only complex thing about the engine, is the triple carb setup. It would be nice to swap that for something easier to fine tune.