Re-fill gear oil in the Volvo SX-M 1.60 drive

1994almeida

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi
In order to re-fill gear oil in the Volvo SX-M 1.60 drive, I need an adaptor for the manual oil pump / SX Drive, but I can?t found on local market.
Could you please identify this adapter, P/N, name ??, in order to check on e-bay?

Or:

It is possible to re fill the gear oil through the dipstick opening?

Thanks Almeida

alldodge

Staff member
Re: Re-fill gear oil in the Volvo SX-M 1.60 drive

Hi
In order to re-fill gear oil in the Volvo SX-M 1.60 drive, I need an adaptor for the manual oil pump / SX Drive, but I can’t found on local market.
Could you please identify this adapter, P/N, name ??, in order to check on e-bay?

Or:

It is possible to re fill the gear oil through the dipstick opening?

Thanks Almeida

In my findings is yes, you can refill through the dip stick tube. The below is from Just answers

You can fill your Volvo Penta drive unit by removing the dipstick from the top of the drive unit, remove the front starboard corner fill plug on top of the drive unit (allen headed screw with a small oring underneath it - use caution not to lose the oring, replace the oring if damaged), then use a small funnel to add the drive lube into the fill plug hole (add 2 and half quarts), let the lube in the drive settle for a few minutes, recheck the lube level on the dipstick and top off as needed.

Alternatively, you can refill the drive unit by removing the rear cover of the upper drive housing, once the rear cover is removed, you will see a vent screw (typically an allen headed screw) on the rear starboard side of the upper drive unit, remove the vent screw. Fill from the bottom drain plug until lube runs out of the vent screw, reinstall/secure the vent screw and gasket, let the lube in the drive unit settle for a few minutes, check the lube level on the dipstick and pump more lube into the drive (from the bottom drain plug up) until the correct lube level is reached on the dipstick.

Yes, it is also permissible to remove the dipstick plug from the upper drive unit, then fill from the bottom drain plug hole until the correct level is obtained on the dipstick. This method will require patience as you will have to pump the lube into the drive and continually check the dipstick until the correct level is reached on the dipstick. Its not uncommon to have no lube showing on the dipstick until the lube is allowed to settle inside the drive for several minutes.

After filling the drive unit, be sure to let the lube in the drive settle for a few minutes or longer, recheck the lube level on the dipstick and top off the lube as needed (or remove lube if overfilled).

insttech1

Petty Officer 1st Class

I just fill into the fill plug hole....gear oil has narrow tip that goes neatly into that hole; no funnel necessary.
Fill up w/ 90% of recommended amount, spin prop manually to settle oil (if drive is off the boat), check the
level, and fill up as necessary.

Then let sit for an hour or two and check level again...gear oil is slow for filling up to correct level.

Takes a bit of time, but no special tools needed.

Last edited:

1994almeida

Petty Officer 2nd Class

OK
Thanks for your quickly answer.
Almeida

Fun Times

Staff member

In my findings is yes, you can refill through the dip stick tube. The below is from Just answers

You can fill your Volvo Penta drive unit by removing the dipstick from the top of the drive unit, remove the front starboard corner fill plug on top of the drive unit (allen headed screw with a small oring underneath it - use caution not to lose the oring, replace the oring if damaged), then use a small funnel to add the drive lube into the fill plug hole (add 2 and half quarts), let the lube in the drive settle for a few minutes, recheck the lube level on the dipstick and top off as needed.

Alternatively, you can refill the drive unit by removing the rear cover of the upper drive housing, once the rear cover is removed, you will see a vent screw (typically an allen headed screw) on the rear starboard side of the upper drive unit, remove the vent screw. Fill from the bottom drain plug until lube runs out of the vent screw, reinstall/secure the vent screw and gasket, let the lube in the drive unit settle for a few minutes, check the lube level on the dipstick and pump more lube into the drive (from the bottom drain plug up) until the correct lube level is reached on the dipstick.

Yes, it is also permissible to remove the dipstick plug from the upper drive unit, then fill from the bottom drain plug hole until the correct level is obtained on the dipstick. This method will require patience as you will have to pump the lube into the drive and continually check the dipstick until the correct level is reached on the dipstick. Its not uncommon to have no lube showing on the dipstick until the lube is allowed to settle inside the drive for several minutes.

After filling the drive unit, be sure to let the lube in the drive settle for a few minutes or longer, recheck the lube level on the dipstick and top off the lube as needed (or remove lube if overfilled).
Hi AllDodge, Have a link to this above? The way he describes filling the drive sounds more like he is describing how to fill an older AQ series drive like an 270. I personally would not recommend doing it this way on the Volvo sx drive.

scutty

Seaman Apprentice

Hi AllDodge, Have a link to this above? The way he describes filling the drive sounds more like he is describing how to fill an older AQ series drive like an 270. I personally would not recommend doing it this way on the Volvo sx drive.

I second that. I'm generally looking for simpler (cheaper) methods and non-marine branded product where it makes sense but the manual for the SX drive clearly states it should be pumped in from the drain plug. The pump is <$10 there is a kit on this site for <$20 w/ a quart of oil. I can't say I've verified it but filling from the top can trap air and prevent the lube from getting every where it needs to get. I supposed if you are getting the capacity amount in the drive and the dip stick is reading correctly then it is all in but for the cost of a <$10 hand pump? In this case I vote for following the manual.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

+++++++1

You have to fill an SX from the bottom. Never fill it from the dipstick tube or you will wipe out your drive from under filling.

Adapters should be easy to find for the pump.

Last edited:

alldodge

Staff member

+++++++1

You have to fill an SX from the bottom. Never fill it from the dipstick tube or you will wipe out your drive from under filling.

Adapters should be easy to find for the pump.

Hey Bruce think you can identify the parts for the OP? In the first post the OP asked for the parts needed to do it.

Could you please identify this adapter, P/N, name ??,

greenbm

Seaman

Got my fill pump at wal mart for less than $10. It was labled for mercury (quicksilver) but it worked on the SX as well. I think it may have even said so on the packaging. Since I bought it I have seen it at multiple walmarts. I wouldnt think you'd have any toruble finding it.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Hey Bruce think you can identify the parts for the OP? In the first post the OP asked for the parts needed to do it.
I have a Volvo DP that gets filled behind the prop and has completely different thread sizes for that.

The threads I use for my Mercury outboard look like the same threads that the other plugs in my drive have for fill level which would be the same as the SX drain plug. I would have to try it to be sure.

Last edited:

skydiveD30571

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Walmart carries the hand pump, as does ****'s/Gander Mountain, and probably other sporting good stores. It is branded as Mercury product but specifically lists Volvo SX drives. It has the threaded attachment for the fill hole.

1994almeida

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hi
According Volvo Penta Operator?s Manual 06-1999, 5.0 GI SX Drive, I should re fill SX-M Drive through the fill/drain hole.
But, according this Manual “…. If unable to fill drive unit thought oil drain plug the drive can be filled by trimming it up a few degrees, and filling thought the oil level plug …”.
I intend to re fill the gear oil through “Oil Level Hole”, because is more easy and I don?t have an adapter for the manual oil pump (here we don?t have Wallmart).
I will try to re fill thought the oil drain plug, with a plastic tube screw into the hole. My only afraid is not to damage the hole of the drain plug….
Thanks for yours useful advices.
Almeida

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

The only time you can fill it through the oil level plug is if you were topping off.

The service manual says nothing about filling the drive through that plug. You have an OEM manual? A manual that says 06-1999 is NOT an OEM manual.

Can you locate this? It will work.
http://www.michiganmotorz.com/mercruiser-gear-lube-pump-p-851.html?gclid=CPy6q-u9g7wCFeU5QgodAlcAHw

Make sure you change the o-rings on all plugs when you change your gear oil.

The drive is many thousands of dollars to repair when you don't fill it correctly. Don't say you haven't been warned.

Last edited:

1994almeida

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hi
The manual is the Volvo Penta VPA 3858034 English 06/1999 new - Volvo Penta : Volvo Penta
Thanks for your information and advice, I will purchase the Quiksilver MerCruiser Gear Lube Pump.
Almeida

Thalasso

Commander

I have a Volvo DP that gets filled behind the prop and has completely different thread sizes for that.

The threads I use for my Mercury outboard look like the same threads that the other plugs in my drive have for fill level which would be the same as the SX drain plug. I would have to try it to be sure.

I have a Volvo DP the previous was a Bravo3. The threads are the same

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

I have a Volvo DP the previous was a Bravo3. The threads are the same
Mine is an LK model. Later on they changed the threads to what you have.

I think you and I talked about this before.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Just for reference, here is the service manual instructions for filling.
VolvoSXOilFill.JPG

1994almeida

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for your information.

Almeida