Any kind of sealer on water pipe fittings?

film842

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I'm re-assembling my AQ131A and I'm looking at lots of rubber O-rings of various sizes and thicknesses that need to be installed on the water pipes, heat exchanger etc. etc.

What I'm not sure of is whether or not I should use any type of sealer on these fittings. The manuals don't say to use any, but I need to ask the question.

Anybody know? Thanks.

Fun Times

Staff member
Re: Any kind of sealer on water pipe fittings?

Hi there film842, Typically it's good practice to apply a little bit of lube or sealant to an O-ring or sealing ring during installation especially if the ring is going to slide into another surface. Lubing should help avoid any damage or twisting of dry installation to the ring and at the same time making the installation a bit easier for you.:)

Also you may want to read on page 7 about "Anaerobic Agents" sealers which cure in the absence of air. Boatinfo - Volvo Penta AQ125A, B and AQ145A, B Engine Service Manual

Hope this helps, good luck.:)

film842

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Hi there film842, Typically it's good practice to apply a little bit of lube or sealant to an O-ring or sealing ring during installation especially if the ring is going to slide into another surface. Lubing should help avoid any damage or twisting of dry installation to the ring and at the same time making the installation a bit easier for you.:)

Also you may want to read on page 7 about "Anaerobic Agents" sealers which cure in the absence of air. Boatinfo - Volvo Penta AQ125A, B and AQ145A, B Engine Service Manual

Hope this helps, good luck.:)

Thanks, it does help. Especially the info about anaerobic agents and RTV. I guess I will go with lube (wheel bearing grease?) for assembling the O-rings and sealing rings. By doing so, I assume that I'm using the lube to help make the assembly go easier, not so much for sealing.

wrench 3

Commander

A silicone grease, such as they use for automotive brake parts, works really well for assembling "o" rings.

jeffnick

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I like Kentucky Jelly for such installations.
41527I1hwUL._AA160_.jpg

It's water soluble so there no danger in reaction with the O-ring.

tazrig

Lieutenant Commander

:eek::faint2::lol:

Fun Times

Staff member

41527I1hwUL._AA160_.jpg

Thanks Jeff, Now we're going to have to figure out if this is an appropriate product to suggest using here on iboats as it's intended use.:mod:

film842

Petty Officer 3rd Class

41527I1hwUL._AA160_.jpg

So, you're serious about using this?

jeffnick

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Yes. Also good for impeller installation lube and anytime hoses need a little encouragement. I keep a tube in the shop.

scutty

Seaman Apprentice

That is awesome! I'm always on the look out for good "non-marine branded" equivalents to the expensive products so often called out in the manuals. This one deserves an award!
The first concern for o-ring lubrication is material compatibility. Most of the orings on these drives are Buna and some oils/solvents can degrade them over time. So an inert grease like KY and the silicones mentioned are great. Once you are sure the lubricant is compatible then your choice should be driven by the type of seal. Is it a stationary seal or a sliding seal? A sliding seal like the o-rings on a rotating shaft want to be lubricated to extend life. A stationary seal like the o-ring on your water fitting just need something to hold them in place during assembly so you want a sticky grease like plain old 24C. This grease does not add to the seal performance. It just makes assembly and dis-assembly easier. Several folks here have suggested a non-curing RTV like permatex #2 for your application. Curious to hear what folks on this thread think about permatex vs the "gasket sealant" recommended in the volvo manuals vs KY or other silicone greases mentioned here.