Oil Dump on 305 Volvo Penta

111torrance111

Petty Officer 1st Class
I (Friend) have a 2008 Reinell with a 305 HP Volvo Penta, while out fishing this last week end I heard the buzzer which I assusme was low oil and then the engine shut down within a few seconds.

Looked in the bilge and it was full of oil, tried adding oil and it too just empty into the bilge.

Prior to this everything seemed fine as this boat gets used almost every weekend, it has just over 1100 hours and is used in salt water. The bilge is typicall dry & clean so I don't suspect a rusting oil pan.

I can't get down in the engine area enough to see anything, any thoughts on what to look for short of pulling the engine? I assume this motor must have an oil plug (Bolt) thet coulod have came loose. I haven't drained the builge yet to see if I find the bolt, but was thinking to run a maganet down there to see if the bolt was down in the oil.

Any advice/help would be appricated.

Jerry

alldodge

Staff member
Re: Oil Dump on 305 Volvo Penta

I (Friend) have a 2008 Reinell with a 305 HP Volvo Penta, while out fishing this last week end I heard the buzzer which I assusme was low oil and then the engine shut down within a few seconds.

Looked in the bilge and it was full of oil, tried adding oil and it too just empty into the bilge.

Prior to this everything seemed fine as this boat gets used almost every weekend, it has just over 1100 hours and is used in salt water. The bilge is typicall dry & clean so I don't suspect a rusting oil pan.

I can't get down in the engine area enough to see anything, any thoughts on what to look for short of pulling the engine? I assume this motor must have an oil plug (Bolt) thet coulod have came loose. I haven't drained the builge yet to see if I find the bolt, but was thinking to run a maganet down there to see if the bolt was down in the oil.

Jerry

Please, First empty the oil out of the bilge, we don't want the bilge pump to turn on and pump it into the water. There is an pan bolt on the bottom but the pan bolt should not be used to change oil, it should be sucked out using a pump. If the oil is coming back out without the engine running then it very well could be the pan bolt, or something else such as a hole.

If you have a phone camera use it to take pictures where your head won't fit

Bondo

Staff member

Jerry

Ayuh,....My 1st guess is a rotten oil pan, but anyways,...

A digital Camera, even the 1 in yer phone can put yer Eyes, where ya head won't reach,....

ya can't fix it, til ya find the problem,....

With a Gusher like that, it oughta be easy enough to see with a camera,...

Otherwise, just start pullin' parts, til ya Can see, or yank the motor, so you can,...

jeffnick

Senior Chief Petty Officer

My 350 has a fitting in the drain plug. There's a hose attached to the fitting that is used to suck oil out for an oil change. In my case, the plastic gasket split and let the oil out, albeit slowly. Others have said their hose either came loose or cracked off.
plug.jpg

tpenfield

Staff member

Yea, I'm thinking either the oil pan rusted through or the plug/bolt came out. The smartphone camera idea is a good one to get a better look.

If it turns out to be just the bolt, then you can put it back in with a good reach under the engine. If it is the oil pan, then probably the engine has got to come out.

111torrance111

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for the advice guy's, I'll be looking at it this weekend and will let you know what I find.

Jerry

Fun Times

Staff member

What year and model Reinell do you own?

Walt T

Lieutenant

Probably had the oil changed and the plug was never tightened past finger tight. Who among us has not done that one? Mine was on a International DT466 in a school bus. Plug fell out in traffic with the bus full of kids. I was in my 20's then.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

These don't have a plug. They have the fitting that the dipstick screws into shown in the picture in post #4.

111torrance111

Petty Officer 1st Class

The verdit is in....

RUSTED OIL PAN.... Only 5 years old and the pan rusted, can't belive it. Even if it is a salt water boat the bilge was rinsed with fresh water and kept clean.

Pulling the motor was much easier then anticapated, & now that it's out we'll do the extra maintanace. Check tru-hulls, pumps and wiring connections.

Just a side note to some:

The oil was always pumped out through the dip-stick, never chnaged by pulling the pan bolt.

Thanks for all the input.

Jerry

Bondo

Staff member

The verdit is in....

RUSTED OIL PAN.... Only 5 years old and the pan rusted, can't belive it. Even if it is a salt water boat the bilge was rinsed with fresh water and kept clean.

Pulling the motor was much easier then anticapated, & now that it's out we'll do the extra maintanace. Check tru-hulls, pumps and wiring connections.

Just a side note to some:

The oil was always pumped out through the dip-stick, never chnaged by pulling the pan bolt.

Thanks for all the input.

Jerry

Ayuh,.... Notes for the New oil pan,....

Paint it with Rustoleum before installin' it,...

Atleast annually, spray it down with a healthy coatin' of Fluid Film,....
Sprayin' the Whole driveline, aside from the electronics, will help stop rust everywhere,...

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Yep...I had a rusty oil pan as well. All it takes is one chip in the paint to cause a hole that will eventually rust. Do whatever you can to prevent nicking the pan when you reinstall the engine. If you do, make sure you touch up the nick.