Help !!! I need help with removing a 1992 Volvo penta from a Chaparall boat

Chaparal707

Recruit
Hello Forum,
I am brand new to this forum and working on this boat. Bought the boat down in Southern calif and had it shipped up to Northern Calif and immediately 1 engine takes a dump on me. I guess I will be pulling the engine and never done it before and dont know how to dissconnect the block from the outdrive on this engine.

The good news is I grew up rebuilding Small block chevy motors so I know these engines like the back of my hand. It is all the boat stuff on it that I am confussed by. Boat is in the water and I am going to try and have the motor pulled where it is. So I am looking for help on what precatiouns to take so i dont flood the boat upon pulling the manifolds

Thanks in advance,

Chaparall707

tazrig

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Help !!! I need help with removing a 1992 Volvo penta from a Chaparall boat

Hi and :welcome: If you can tell me the year make and model of your Volvo Penta engine and sterndrive I can send you a PDF Manual that shows in detail with photos how to do what you want to do. I can tell you that the sterndrive has to come off before the motor comes out as there is a drive shaft going from the drive through the transom and into the back of the motor. Soooooooooooooooooo unless you want to sink I'd strongly recommend you put the boat on dry land before you go any further. :lol: Seriously though, you can start by taking a bunch of pics before and during the disassembly so you'll see how it goes back in. Then start removing or disconnecting all wires and cables that connect the engine to the boat. Just as if you were pulling a car engine. Get me the above info I requested and if you can work a small block then you won't have any trouble using the manual and we're here if you get stuck. But remember dry land before removing the drive which has to happen before the engine pull.

tpenfield

Staff member

Hello Forum,
I am brand new to this forum and working on this boat. Bought the boat down in Southern calif and had it shipped up to Northern Calif and immediately 1 engine takes a dump on me. I guess I will be pulling the engine and never done it before and dont know how to dissconnect the block from the outdrive on this engine.

The good news is I grew up rebuilding Small block chevy motors so I know these engines like the back of my hand. It is all the boat stuff on it that I am confussed by. Boat is in the water and I am going to try and have the motor pulled where it is. So I am looking for help on what precatiouns to take so i dont flood the boat upon pulling the manifolds

Thanks in advance,

Chaparall707

Yup a little more information about the boat and engines would be helpful . . . Got any pictures of the engine compartment and the stern area?

Usually, the outdrive has to come off in order to pull the engine out, because the drive shaft of the outdrive inserts into a coupler that is mounted to the flywheel of the engine. So, the prospects of doing this work while the boat is still in the water do not look positive. I suppose . . . if you had enough room in the engine compartment forward of the engine, you could jockey the engine forward to relieve it from the drive shaft.

Of course there is the issue of getting a hoist mechanism where you need it while the boat is in the water. That seems to be more complicated/expensive than just pulling the boat out of the water and performing the work on solid ground.

Lots of threads about pulling engines on this forum, so you should have plenty of examples to follow. Many folks build a gantry of some sort to hoist the engine out with a chain hoist or similar device.

Last edited:

Chaparal707

Recruit

Hi and :welcome: If you can tell me the year make and model of your Volvo Penta engine and sterndrive I can send you a PDF Manual that shows in detail with photos how to do what you want to do. I can tell you that the sterndrive has to come off before the motor comes out as there is a drive shaft going from the drive through the transom and into the back of the motor. Soooooooooooooooooo unless you want to sink I'd strongly recommend you put the boat on dry land before you go any further. :lol: Seriously though, you can start by taking a bunch of pics before and during the disassembly so you'll see how it goes back in. Then start removing or disconnecting all wires and cables that connect the engine to the boat. Just as if you were pulling a car engine. Get me the above info I requested and if you can work a small block then you won't have any trouble using the manual and we're here if you get stuck. But remember dry land before removing the drive which has to happen before the engine pull.

Hello Guys,
Thanks for getting back to me so fast. The boat is a 1992 Chaparall 30' Signature series. The engine is a 1992 Chevy small block or Volvo penta.

Okay a boat mechanic told me today that if I remove the water pump and pulleys I have enough room in the engine compartment to slide the block forward and separate it away from the outdrive then hoist it out of the boat. Any thoughts on that approach? Is this guy just trying to create a salvage boat for himself ?

tazrig

Lieutenant Commander

Hello Guys,
Thanks for getting back to me so fast. The boat is a 1992 Chaparall 30' Signature series. The engine is a 1992 Chevy small block or Volvo penta.

Okay a boat mechanic told me today that if I remove the water pump and pulleys I have enough room in the engine compartment to slide the block forward and separate it away from the outdrive then hoist it out of the boat. Any thoughts on that approach? Is this guy just trying to create a salvage boat for himself ?

Assuming you have the room in front of the motor and you SECURELY seal off the water hose coming from the transom assembly and plugging into the water pump then yes you could technically do it. However it is a much easier job putting the boat on land and removing the drive first. The drive has a foot to foot and a half drive shaft that plugs into the back of the engine. The drive shaft has splines on the engine end and a big universal joint on the drive side. Now, would you rather wrestle an 800+lb motor off of a 100lb drive (with the boat rocking in the water) or simply pull a 100lb drive off the back of your boat and then pull the motor straight out? Even if you fought with the motor to slide it forward to get it out you would still have to hold the drive shaft level and turn the drive shaft as you were sliding the engine back in to get the splines lined up. Trust me just much easier and safer to do it on land. Also you'll need specific info on the Volvo model# of your engine and the model of your drive for the OEM manuals. Here is a link so you can grab it yourself once you get them:

Boatinfo - The library, containing manuals, brochures and other technical documents from the last hundred years!

Just select Volvo Penta on the left, slide the bar across until the desired manual shows up and click the service manu*l based on your specific engine and specific drive. There will be one manual for each and you can bookmark each for later reference.

Fun Times

Staff member

Hi there, what stern drive models do you have on your boat?

Walt T

Lieutenant

Pay to have the boat pulled and stored. It's time for full maintenance on both drives. The big O rings between the bellhousing and transom are going to be disturbed, I always replace those when yanking a Volvo motor. Do it right the first time or do it again later.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

Volvos are some of the easiest drives to remove, replace, and align.

first off, which drive do you have.

if we assume a DP, the steps to remove with boat on land are as follows (at least for my boat):

drink a beer
grab some plastic bags and a marker
remove shift cover
disconnect shift cable, place parts in labeled bag
remove bellows clamps from outdrive (may have to slightly raise the drive to access)
disconnect raw water line from drive
lower drive onto a block of wood
pull steering pin from helmet (put parts in bag)
remove trim/tilt pins (put parts in bag)
remove bolts retaining pivot pins
use approriate volvo slide hammer to remove pivot pins (put parts in bag)
offer your buddy a beer
both of you take a side, pull the drive backwards rotating on the block of wood.

put the drive on your drive stand.

now to remove the motor:
disconnect the batteries
remove the connections at the starter, and the ground leads on back of engine (label with black marker and tape)
disconnect the throttle cable
disconnect the wiring connector
disconnect the exhaust connections
disconnect the 1.25" supply line from the transom shield / power steering cooler
disconnect the power steering lines at the pump. cap off accordingly

go out back to the transom shield and undo the large clamp ring and outer o-ring (put parts in bag)
remove lag bolts securing motor mounts to stingers

connect engine hoist

lift slightly, slide forward slightly and tilt as required

now the drive is off and the motor is out

now you can take care of the rotten motor mounts you found
now you can clean and inspect the bilge
now you can properly service the drive
now you can replace the raw water connector on the drive (dont worry, their cheep)
now you can inspect the flywheel adapter bearings
now you can inspect the drive coupler
now you can repair/replace whats broken in your motor

installation is reverse of removal.
drive alignment is makeing sure that both sides and top of flywheel housing alignment marks are within 1-1/2 mm of each other. (I try for 1/2mm)
check alignment as you are tightening the clamp ring and motor mounts

Walt T

Lieutenant

You left out way too many beers

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

No, I kept them for myself