Volvo5.7 gxi-f exhaust"y" pipe

lakemac

Cadet
I have a 5.7 gxi-f in a 26 ft Larson, the y pipe at the back of the engine has corroded through and is leaking water into the bilge at a great rate.
The workshop manual says the engine must come out to replace it, can it be done any other way?
Thanks for any feedback in advance,
Lakemac

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Re: Volvo5.7 gxi-f exhaust"y" pipe

Only way is pull the motor or cutting a hole in the bottom of the boat(kidding) no other way! :)

saintlee

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I replaced mine by lifting the engine up about 10 inches and forward about 6 inches.
so it depends on what you consider out.
Used a 6 by 6 across the boat with a come-along.
Make sure you change the o-ring with the new one.
And while its out check tork on transom thru bolts

lakemac

Cadet

Thanks for the replies, I have sourced some lengths of square tube and will weld up an A frame to lift it. Figured it would not need to come all the way out as you say saintlee.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Make sure you remove the drive before you move the engine around.

lakemac

Cadet

So I took the drive off today in perpetration for lifting the motor out, it is a dp-sm and thought ok, while it is off I may as well replace everything while I am at it. The manual I have (seloc) says start by removing the 4bolts holding the top cover plate ontop of the gimble ring which I did but it cannot be budged!! Tried levers and eventually a brass drift with no results it is stuck solid what's the trick? No clues from the book. Also the fixed end of the tilt cylinders are frozen solid,can't get them off the mounting pins,any clues greatly appreciated

Rusty S

Seaman Apprentice

Lakemac,
Not for sure year, etc. of your Larson; but I have a 2002 274 and sounds like the same DPSM drive with SX-MHP transom assembly. I struggled as you have. Low and behold Don S straightened me out and advised me of the 2 bolts going into this top cover from inside the transom. You will need to unhook the steering arm to fully remove the bolts.
Do yourself a favor and toss the Seloc Manual over your shoulder (I had one and now only reference it for specs, etc). Print off the Volvo service manual found elsewhere in the stickys above or go to other websites. They are available and a much better resource for wrench turners like you and me.
Not for sure what to suggest for the trim cylinders. Sounds like you may run in salt or these haven't been removed/lubricated on a routine basis. PB Blaster works wonders for me; not for sure on it's availability in Australia.
Good luck and hope this helps!

Last edited: