Anyone with a volvo penta 270/280 outdrive

74bayliner

Chief Petty Officer
If you have the 270/280 outdrive with the Mechanical Lift/tilt device. Can you please tell me how it operates?
I have an old one that i am trying to rebuild, because it did not run. I got it running and it works but i want to be sure that before i go ahead and close up the relay box (ive opened and closed it 10 times already without checking my work... stupid me! but i was so sure i had it :p )

So when you turn on your ignition your engine is locked in the up position when you get into the water, since it is in the up position the Warning indicator light is lit, correct?
Than you essentially press Down(lower) switch and the 12v motor winds away until it hits the limiter switch (fully down position) and the motor stops. Correct? That way you cannot damage the motor by making it work when it has no more place to go...
Than when you are done, fishing boating or what have you, you come back to shore and you press the Up (Raise) switch, which in turn Raises the outdrive, ... my question is. The up (raise) button does it have a way to know when you have gone to far? (such as the limiter switch for the Down(lower) switch) or do you raise it only to a certain point, to be able to lock it, than lower it.
If someone could make a video of the Lift/Tilt operation and post a link i would greatly appreciate.

For those of you who would like to know how to rebuild one of these, I am putting together some videos which i will show you how i rebuilt mine and all of the costs etc. that way you can see if its cost effective to do it yourself.

Any help is appreciate thank you!

Maityme

Cadet
Re: Anyone with a volvo penta 270/280 outdrive

There is no limiter on the outdrive. It will keep trying to raise itself, but you will here a strain on the motor.

If you have the 270/280 outdrive with the Mechanical Lift/tilt device. Can you please tell me how it operates?
I have an old one that i am trying to rebuild, because it did not run. I got it running and it works but i want to be sure that before i go ahead and close up the relay box (ive opened and closed it 10 times already without checking my work... stupid me! but i was so sure i had it :p )

So when you turn on your ignition your engine is locked in the up position when you get into the water, since it is in the up position the Warning indicator light is lit, correct?
Than you essentially press Down(lower) switch and the 12v motor winds away until it hits the limiter switch (fully down position) and the motor stops. Correct? That way you cannot damage the motor by making it work when it has no more place to go...
Than when you are done, fishing boating or what have you, you come back to shore and you press the Up (Raise) switch, which in turn Raises the outdrive, ... my question is. The up (raise) button does it have a way to know when you have gone to far? (such as the limiter switch for the Down(lower) switch) or do you raise it only to a certain point, to be able to lock it, than lower it.
If someone could make a video of the Lift/Tilt operation and post a link i would greatly appreciate.

For those of you who would like to know how to rebuild one of these, I am putting together some videos which i will show you how i rebuilt mine and all of the costs etc. that way you can see if its cost effective to do it yourself.

Any help is appreciate thank you!

captmello

Captain

It sounds like its working properly. The limit switch is there to stop the vice rod from going through the top of the upper lift assembly housing. A limit switch is not necessary for the up position as the unit is meant to slip. The clutch and slippage is controlled by the upper housing pressure when it is tightened down. I expect you know this, i'm pretty sure it's in the manual.

you should be able to push the outdrive down fairly easily or the slippage should be adjusted.

Here's a thread i posted a while back, it might be of some help.
http://forums.iboats.com/volvo-penta-i-o-inboard-gas-engines-outdrives/volvo-penta-275-tilt-mechanism-rebuild-307304.html

74bayliner

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks for the Replies.
And i can now safely take that into account, I would like to continue with the questionining.
So since the wiring inside the Relay Box was a big rats nest, i had to rewire everything. The only Problem is i had to run off of two different diagrams, I wired the system like this first diagram
DSCF0027_zpsb99e4b63.jpg

That did not work, the relays kept clicking intermittantly like they were turning on and off right away, the motor would spin just like the click happened (.5 second click on and off, and within that .5 seconds the motor rod spinned just about 1/6th turn)

So than i looked through the AQ270/280 workshop manual and mind you not being able to find a diagram for the Old Electrolux Motor so i had a secondary one that I opened up to see where each of the 4 wires go, I will be making video and a diagram for those who want to rebuild their Old Electrolux Motor,

But after following this diagram from the AQ270/280 workshop manual (This image was recreated by me using a program, because the manual is old and hard to read somewhat)
Untitled-6_zpsdc75c898.png

I tried it using the above method as well, and had the same Problem!
I could not figure it out for the life of me, In one of the two above methods I did get the motor to work sort of. It would turn on a do complete spins on only the up position but if i clicked to bottom it would do the clicking from above, than if i tried to put back to Up it would not work and click instead, and that would work every so often.

So i sat scratching my head for litterally 6 days, i asked two electricians by trade for help, one of them actually sat with me for a few hours and went through the whole diagram (the second one from the manual) and told me how it worked.
But we could not figure out why i was not getting the working result.

So i sat down yesterday and took everything apart and started from the Basics,

I first wanted to power the motor alone with no relays.
So i took out my garbage motor and pulled everything out of it to see where the wires go, And i found that the Red and Brown Wires connect to both winding fields, and 1 brush, the Black and blue wires are connected to the second brush, and they are connected together, I will show a diagram a little later.

That meant to me that the Black/Blue wires were a ground circuit, assuming Blue coming into the motor was a constant common/ground. and the black going out was to be able to ground other things. and that would mean that Red wire + blue wire would spin the motor one way, and Brown wire + blue wire would spin it the other way. so i hooked it up to a 12 volt battery, and sure enough i got the result i was expecting.

Next i tested the relays even though brand new to make sure they worked, found some videos online how to do that, they worked, so i decided i would hook up a relay and wire it to be able to spin the motor when the switch was flipped to the Up Position, I hooked it up and it worked, i than added the second relay, tried it and it worked, i than proceeded to add the limit switch, And viola! it worked the way i needed it to, installed the indicator light and bam everything works smoothly. The only reason i asked for your opinions on the up limit switch was because the lift is now functional when it comes down it stops but i didnt know if there was anything to stop it from when you went up, because i did not follow the traditional diagram, i did it on my own and there are a few wires that i left out (such as the one from the limit switch to the up relay.
Here is the way my diagram is now (i changed the colors of the wires because i think they constantly add all these wires and it gets confusing, so mine is basic, aside from the different colors for the motor itself, and the up/down indicator light wires, the colors are Red for + and Black for -.
Untitled-7_zps874daa9d.png

Is there anyone out there that finds any fault with my diagram? Please tell me if you find why it shouldnt work.
Because for some reason its working perfectly.

Last edited:

captmello

Captain

So, your question is...

Is there anyone out there that finds any fault with my diagram? Please tell me if you find why it shouldnt work.
Because for some reason its working perfectly.

My answer is:

If it works, don't fix it.

I'm look forward to your videos, etc., if you post them, I will watch. Those lift mechanisms are worth their weight in gold on ebay it seems. Remember not to overtighten the relay box on the top of the lift as it causes the limit switch to malfunction. Just tight enough to prevent the box from up and down movement. i used nylock nuts.

kd220

Recruit
Hello I just bought a 1982 bayliner with a AQ 125 motor and a Volvo penta 270 prop. I took it on the river for the first time and when I go full throttle the prop skips. What can this be.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Welcome,You shouldn't post on others post.
You should start your own.
But since you did.
The 270 is the name/number of the drive.
The skipping? Could be the props hub is slipping?
Some more info?
Does it stop forward motion, does the motor rev up?