Volvo Spark Plugs

gapple12

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'm curious, on my Volvo Penta 5.0GL, can I just go to the local auto parts store and buy some nice double platinum spark plugs or do i need some sort of marine grade plugs ?

Georgesalmon

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Volvo Spark Plugs

no such thing as marine plugs as far as I know. Just get what is called for by Volvo for your engine.

skydiveD30571

Lieutenant Junior Grade

You can use whatever plugs you want, but some words of advice:

1) Stay away from "Volvo Penta" or Champion plugs. They are the same thing, they are awful, you'll regret it.
2) For a carbed engine, Don always recommended ACDelco 41-993 which can be picked up at your local auto parts store or NAPA usually.
3) If the original ACDelco plugs are still in it, you can also take them to an auto parts store and cross-reference with NGK if you'd like.
4) Gap should be listed on the engine cover, but I believe the 5.0GL's were all .060.

Last edited:

skydiveD30571

Lieutenant Junior Grade

no such thing as marine plugs as far as I know. Just get what is called for by Volvo for your engine.

Correct in that marine plugs don't exist. And even though following the Volvo manual is usually a great idea, this is one time you don't want to. Volvo Penta sells Champion plugs which are worthless. Stay away from those.

gapple12

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Wow, glad I asked before I bought Volvo plugs. Thanks a bunch guys !!!

Bondo

Staff member

Correct in that marine plugs don't exist. And even though following the Volvo manual is usually a great idea, this is one time you don't want to. Volvo Penta sells Champion plugs which are worthless. Stay away from those.

Ayuh,.... That's not quite True,....

for instance, For Chevy motors in boats, the pre-vortec heads use the AC Delco, MR43T spark plugs, or for the Vortec headed motors, the MR43LTS spark plugs,....

The automotive equivalents are the R43T, 'n the R43LTS,....

With the ACs, the M is Marine, 'n the plug bodies are an Alloy,....
Rather than just plain ole Steel as the automotive plugs are,...

As gapple12 does mention the vintage of his motor, either of those numbers maybe the spark plugs needed for that motor,...

Btw,.... "nice double platinum spark plugs", are a complete Waste of money,....

skydiveD30571

Lieutenant Junior Grade

The OP has a GL-A motor, with a production year of 2001. I believe that is a Vortec engine but I may be entirely wrong.

If so, the MR43LTS or the 41-993 (platinum plug, not necessary on carbed engine but recommended on EFI engines) will do just fine.

Edit: Thanks for the correction Bondo, I never realized the difference :joyous:

SteveMcD

Petty Officer 2nd Class

They make stainless steel spark plugs too. $10 each, but no more rust.