Is it the end of the road for my boat? (Don't trust a thermometer)

Michigan Jason

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ok, let me start by saying that I am an idiot. I knew the cold weather was coming and still insisted on using the boat a few last times. As Michigan weather does frequently, it changed on me, and fast. We had weeks of 40 degree weather and the week I headed to Pittsburgh for the Lions game I knew it was going to be close to if not freezing here. I chose to place a light bulb in the engine compartment of my Regal valanti 202se. I also grabbed one of my cheap BBQ thermometers and placed the temp probe inside the engine bay as well. After monitoring the temp to hold at a low of 37* I deemed it safe to go on vacation and winterize when I got back. According to the temp probe the temp never got below 37* but I still had a bad feeling when I came home so I checked it. When I moved the probe, the temp changed and jumped to 60*! At that point I basically started crying. I put the boat in the garage, and uncovered it, sure as hell my upper water hose was frozen solid (typically I can squeeze it and hear water sloshing around the engine) So I added another bulb, and let the boat sit in the garage for over 7 days at a temp ranging from 47-60* Finally got the balls to go outside and see if I got lucky or not, and upon placing the muffs on and starting her I felt great! It was running, and sounded normal, until I looked under the engine and watched water coming out from all over the place. I turned it off and tried to see where it was coming from to no avail. Started it back up to take a video and then gave up deeming it totally useless. Now I am wondering if it is possible that I did not crack the block and maybe the water was coming from somewhere else. I since just left the boat outside and gave up on it. Didn't even bother running the rv antifreeze through it because it would all just end up in the bilge. It was all clean water coming from the motor, I did not see any oil or anything like that. Just water. Here is the video.

Does anyone have any positive news for me? As of now she is sitting in the 15* michigan weather where she will sit till spring.

What happens when you don't winterize your boat.(2) - YouTube

Motor is a ford 5.0

Fleetwin

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Is it the end of the road for my boat? (Don't trust a thermometer)

First off, why in the he$% would you travel anywhere to see a Lions Game? I'm from MI too. I wouldn't.

Looks to me like you popped a core (a.k.a. freeze) plug.

If you can get to it, it's not that hard to replace.

Last edited:

Michigan Jason

Petty Officer 2nd Class

First off, why in the he$% would you travel anywhere to see a Lions Game? I'm from MI too. I wouldn't.

Looks to me like you popped a core (a.k.a. freeze) plug.

If you can get to it, it's not that hard to replace.

After I noticed all the water shooting out, I just gave up and covered the boat and left it outside. If the freeze plug did pop out, the water should all be run out of the motor right? Because it is sitting in 15* weather now and has been for a week.

Fleetwin

Lieutenant Junior Grade

After I noticed all the water shooting out, I just gave up and covered the boat and left it outside. If the freeze plug did pop out, the water should all be run out of the motor right? Because it is sitting in 15* weather now and has been for a week.

Maybe. If it's the rear one, it would drain one side of the V engine but not the other!

The Ford 5.0L block is stronger, between the cylinders, than a comparable 5.0L GM block. However, that does not mean it can take a total freeze up.

You need to get that thing thawed out and drained properly. You MAY have dodged a bullet. No guarantees.

Michigan Jason

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Maybe. If it's the rear one, it would drain one side of the V engine but not the other!

The Ford 5.0L block is stronger, between the cylinders, than a comparable 5.0L GM block. However, that does not mean it can take a total freeze up.

You need to get that thing thawed out and drained properly. You MAY have dodged a bullet. No guarantees.

So you don't think that running it on the muffs in my driveway with water spraying everywhere in the bilge filled it with enough water that in a week of 20* weather it didn't completely freeze up already? There is still hope?

Fleetwin

Lieutenant Junior Grade

So you don't think that running it on the muffs in my driveway with water spraying everywhere in the bilge filled it with enough water that in a week of 20* weather it didn't completely freeze up already? There is still hope?

Not sure what you are saying there but water left, in the engine, IS going to freeze.

It needs to be thawed out and drained thoroughly.

You're dancing around disaster.

Michigan Jason

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Not sure what you are saying there but water left, in the engine, IS going to freeze.

It needs to be thawed out and drained thoroughly.

You're dancing around disaster.

Sorry if my ignorance on the topic is making what I am saying hard to understand. What I am asking is, if the engine was leaking water as much as it was, wouldn't all the water be out of it? Therefore leaving it out in the cold at this point, is alright? I just wish I knew if the damage was already done, or if putting it back in the garage at this point and draining it would save it.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

You first need to see if the water was running out of a core plug. If it is, you need to temporarily get one of those rubber plugs and put it in there and then do a pressure test.

If its the core plug at the rear of the engine, the engine will have to come out.

First thing though is you need to drain your block and manifolds.

Last edited:

tpenfield

Staff member

I know the Lions are playing better these past few years, and I enjoyed watching them on Thanksgiving, but it hardly seems worth sacrificing a boat to the cause at this point. Maybe if they make the playoffs.

If only one side of the V8 engine was leaking, then the other side would be fairly full of water, at least up to the level of the recirculating pump. (water pump). That is probably the lowest point where the 2 sides of the engine can swap water, therefore the other side would stay fairly full. So, it is a good chance that what happened to one side of the engine now happened to the other, based on putting it out on the cold.

Look at the bright side, you can start an engine replacement thread :thumb:

Last edited:

Michigan Jason

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I know the Lions are playing better these past few years, and I enjoyed watching them on Thanksgiving, but it hardly seems worth sacrificing a boat to the cause at this point. Maybe if they make the playoffs.

If only one side of the V8 engine was leaking, then the other side would be fairly full of water, at least up to the level of the recirculating pump. (water pump). That is probably the lowest point where the 2 sides of the engine can swap water, therefore the other side would stay fairly full. So, it is a good chance that what happened to one side of the engine now happened to the other, based on putting it out on the cold.

Look at the bright side, you can start an engine replacement thread :thumb:

Yea, it seems like I can't do anything right lol. I am not sure that water only came from one side, it could have been both, and likely was. Once I saw the water I immediately said f*K it, it's game over and tried t move on mentally. If I would have known that I still could have drained it at that point and had it be worth it, I would have. At this point I suppose the only thing I can do it wait till spring and either rebuild or scrap. Thanks for the words of encouragement.

tazrig

Lieutenant Commander

Sorry if my ignorance on the topic is making what I am saying hard to understand. What I am asking is, if the engine was leaking water as much as it was, wouldn't all the water be out of it? Therefore leaving it out in the cold at this point, is alright? I just wish I knew if the damage was already done, or if putting it back in the garage at this point and draining it would save it.

There are multiple points on the engine that you have to drain it from. You may have already cracked your block in several places by leaving it out in the cold for so long. Water does appear to be coming out of the freeze plug but it may be coming out from other places as well. All you can do at this point is to thaw it, drain it and replace the freeze plug to find out if you dodged the bullet or not. Also check your oil to see if it's milky or not. (water intrusion through the block) You may have cracked your block already but one thing is for certain, If you don't thaw and drain it you will crack it before spring comes around.

Fun Times

Staff member

There is still hope?
It's always worth the fight.

At the beginning of the video, it seems like the exhaust manifold is leaking at a pretty good rate due to the water seemed like it was falling from a high spot. The end of the video you can see the brass core plug leaking a good amount of water.

Think of it as a sports game. At this time regardless if the engine block is cracked or not, your only chance of trying to win the game is to drain the engine and exhaust manifolds now to help prevent the unknown of if your going to win the game series or not. Right now you're down two good guys on the team, but you may still have some back up players that may just bring the win home to you.:)

Now get out there and drain the cooling system.... Hut Hut!!!:whip:

Last edited:

tazrig

Lieutenant Commander

It's always worth the fight. Now get out there and drain the cooling system.... Hut Hut!!!:whip:

:encouragement::cheer2::cheer2::cheer2::thumb:

Michigan Jason

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Well, I let the boat sit until a week ago when a friend who does marine work came and put 2 rubber freeze plugs in. Started right up and only leak he noticed after running it up to temp was in my starboard riser at the bottom. He said it is cracked. I am able to feel warm water leaking out of the bottom of it. We took it to the lake to test and the water slowly leaks out, but not even at a rate that my auto bildge would activate after 15 mins. Just wanted to update those of you who were helping me and or reading this topic. So now I need to replace a riser, and while im at it, the belts and impeller.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
You still should pressure test your block at this point to see if there are internal cracks.

Michigan Jason

Petty Officer 2nd Class
You still should pressure test your block at this point to see if there are internal cracks.

Thank you for the reply Bruce! My mechanic said that compression was fine if that is what you mean. I am now looking for the water pump so I can try to replace the impeller. When running the boat in the lake for about 30 minutes last weekend, the temp gauge never rose above 100 and the risers were warm/hot to touch. Not to the point that I coulndnt hold my hand on them, but warm like I had been running it hard for a while. The water leaking from the starboard riser was nice and warm also. Assuming my temp gauge is not working, I want to replace the impeller to be safe as I have never done it. Is there a diagram or tutorial available for me to do this? I have looked at the stickies that Don. S posted and can no longer locate the engine service manual for my motor. Any help is much appreciated.

JAson

Michigan Jason

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Everything checks out fine according to the mechanic who looked at it before. The leak I have is directly at the bottom of the starboard riser. I was told I can remove the riser attempt to jb weld the crack. Can anyone help me? Should I just buy a new riser or try to clean and repair this one? What is the process I should follow to remove the riser? Any guides or assistance is appreciated.