Volvo steering arm removal

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdbarbor

Cadet
I have a 2003 Volvo 5.0 GXI with a DP-SM out drive, I need to remove the steering arm off the gimbal ring. Lower pivot has been removed, All four nuts and washers removed, center bolt removed. The service manual states, use puller 3854361 to remove arm, it seems these pullers are hard to come by, I've searched online, talked to our marina mechanic, no luck finding one. I have read some post that say just make one, which I'm fine with, but I don't get what I'm pressing on, the bolt in the middle, the four studs and the two dowel pins are all attached to the gimbal ring so what does this tool press against? Of course the swim platform is right above it so hard to see down in there, any advise greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_2989.jpg
    IMG_2989.jpg
    146.9 KB · Views: 25

jdbarbor

Cadet
Re: Volve steering arm removal

I did see your attachment. that is right out of the Volvo service manual. the tool shown is the one that is obsolete, I took another look at yesterday and realized the steering shaft has threads in the center, so I'm thinking the puller must thread into the steering shaft in the center, not the gimbal ring, and press on the two dowel pins. I believe the arm is 9/16 fine thread. I still would like to find the tool, but since it seems to not exist, I would make one if I could figure out the objective of the tool.

Walt T

Lieutenant

It pulls on the center threads, the 4 studs stay put. I think it's a metric thread not 9/16 fine. Find an auto parts store with a good bolt cabinet, usually a larger NAPA or something. The smaller stores tend to only have common bolts.

Careful..

scutty

Seaman Apprentice

I recently suffered through this myself on a 2005 SX-M. It took me hours of surfing and talking to a lot of folks. I hope this helps save you some time.
The trick is that there are two sets of concentric threads in the top of the steering arm and gimbal ring. The smaller thread in the top of the gimbal ring holds everything together. That main bolt in your pic is the one that you use to reassemble. Take this nut out completely. You need a small piece of ~1/4 steel about 1.5 x 1.5 inches square, just big enough to land on top of the four black screws. Drill a 9/16 clearance hole through the middle. The larger threaded hole is in the top of steering arm itself and it is a 9/16-18. This is not something you can find in a local home center. Go to a company like McMasterCarr and buy a 9/16-18 bolt about 2 inches long and a nut. Thread the nut on the bolt, thread the bolt through the plate and into the steering arm finger tight until it bottoms out. Use one wrench to keep the bolt from turning and use another wrench to turn the nut, pressing down on plate. There are also two dowel pins that can be pretty tight. It can take a fair amount of force to pull the arm all the way off. Also, in order to let the gimbal ring to drop down you need to remove the lower steering support bracket. This bracket has three bolts and two dowel pins. It has to drop straight down. It can take some effort to get that off too. Don't loose the shims. There are thin black shims in the top and bottom of this joint. Attached is a sketch too.

Attachments

• IMAG0698.jpg
    IMAG0698.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:

jdbarbor

Cadet

Scutty, You are right on it, I made the tool you described, was able to find a 9/16 18 thread bolt nut and washer (had to get at Fastenal) I screwed it right in, tightened nut down and it came right off. Amazing how simple something is when you have the correct tool, and how hard it is without one. thanks for the help.000_3513.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.