Re: Winterize a Volvo Penta 5.7GSi in a Four Winns Horizon 210?

scutty

Seaman Apprentice

Hello folks,<br />what are the major steps to winterize a Volvo Penta 5.7GSi in a Four Winns Horizon 210 besides draining the water out of the engine?

Hi, I have an '05 Fourwinns 210 with the 5.0 GXi-E (fuel injection) and an SX 1.6 outdrive. I've been winterizing it myself for a few years now. I leave it in the water from June to Sept. Put a tarp over it for the winter up here in Maine.

-fuel stabilizer: I use fuel stabilizer all year. At the end of the season I add a bit more. If you don't use it regularly put some in before you pull it so the stabilizer has a chance to completely run through the system. If you can't do that make sure you put it in before you run the engine to warm it up before the oil change.
-Hook up water: I have a garden hose fitting on the front left side of the engine.
-Fogging: There are lots of opinions out there about fogging and fogging fuel injected engines is even more unclear. I take off the fuel filter and fill it half with gas and half with 2 stroke oil ( the kind you use for 2 stroke outboards ). Reinstall the filter.
-Warm up: turn the water on and get the engine warm. With that 2 stroke oil in the fuel it will smoke but shouldn't stall. Get it up to 150 deg or so. The engine and fuel system now is nicely lubricated - fogged.
-Kill the engine, stop the water
-Change the engine oil: I use a small 12v elec pump with a small tube stuck into the dip stick tube on the right. Refill the oil. Make sure not to over fill. This method does not completely drain all the oil.
-Replace the Oil filter: Don't forget to lubricate the seal with oil
-Replace the fuel filter: again lubricate the seal.
-Drain the engine water and fill with antifreeze: There are many different ways to do this. Here is my method. Pull all the drain plugs. My engine has four. Two on either side of the bottom of the block and two in the rear of the exhaust manifolds. Reinstall the plugs. Remove the four water hoses that connect to the top of the engine in the front where the thermostat is. Bend the tubes down to drain any water that might be left in there. Now fill the engine with marine antifreeze. Reconnect the hoses and tighten the clamps.
-Outdrive oil: Drain and replace the lower unit oil. Buy the special pump and follow the directions.
-Battery: Put it on a maintainer in or out of the boat.

Volvo recommends pulling the outdrive every year to inspect the bellows and check the engine alignment. At a minimum grease your gimbal bearing. You should also check over your belts, impeller, steering fluid and trim fluid levels, plugs and all hoses and wiring. I like to coat the engine with T-9.

Don't forget your trailer! To get the most out of your trailer tires cover them from the sun. UV degrades them fast. I like to put the trailer (with boat) on wood blocks and put the tires in the garage. Store them at full pressure, 50psi. Grease the hubs, check the breaks and top off the brake fluid. If the break fluid is milky replace the break fluid and bleed out the lines. You don't want a caliper to seize up on the highway.

Start the countdown to next year!

I'd be interested to hear if anyone disagrees with this approach. It's worked for me.

Walt T

Lieutenant

I know a guy who intentionally left his boat motor full of water so it would freeze and crack and he would then tell the wifey "It wore out need a new motor!" just so he could have a stroker motor in it. Dang near pulls skiiers arms out of their sockets now. I am not making this up. Well, ok the arm socket part I'm exaggerating.

skydiveD30571

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Scutty did you realize this thread is over 11 years old? The OP is long gone by now. But to answer your question, your method is solid and what most experienced boat owners do to their own boats as well.

scutty

Seaman Apprentice

Scutty did you realize this thread is over 11 years old? The OP is long gone by now. But to answer your question, your method is solid and what most experienced boat owners do to their own boats as well.

Hah! no I did not. I had just written down my process for my own notes and to share with another friend while skimming the forums here and cut an paste without looking at the dates. Will look closer next time. Thanks.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

-Change the engine oil: I use a small 12v elec pump with a small tube stuck into the dip stick tube on the right. Refill the oil. Make sure not to over fill. This method does not completely drain all the oil.
Actually it does drain all the oil. On Volvos, the dipstick tub goes down to the oil pan drain plug. Instead of using a pump that uses a tube that goes down the dipstick, use one that threads onto the dipstick tube hose threads. That way you use the entire diameter of the dipstick tube to suck the oil out rather than a reduced diameter tube that you are using.

If you are going to fog an FI engine using the 2 stroke oil method, you need to use a portable tank(the way Volvo recommends) as filling the fuel filter is only going to last a short time and you have no idea when you just went through your small amount of fogging fuel. You also never want to pull a filter off, drain and reinstall. Very good way of introducing contaminants into your fuel system from pouring out fuel from an old filter and reusing it.

Last edited: