Volvo 290 DP-B ?????? LOST

454bbc

Seaman Apprentice
I have a Volvo 290 DP-B tag says 1.78 ratio its connected with a 454 engine also. Well heres the problem I am in need and am looking for a upper gearbox assembly. On of the gears inside of my drive broke 3 teeth off and has runied everything in its path. Im looking for a used one if could find one or find any info on which one MIGHT interchange with what I have I keep hearing this is particular drive does not swap out with anything else because of its bigger gears and gear set in it. Due to dual props. It has 26 fine spline on the driveshaft also. if that helps anything at all?

Pic of gear that broke.

Attachments

• Resampled_2013-11-16_10-11-53_299.jpg
    Resampled_2013-11-16_10-11-53_299.jpg
    142.9 KB · Views: 0

454bbc

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Volvo 290 DP-B ?????? LOST

serial/ model tag off of drive. it lists: (top right hand corner) 854298 (center of tag left to right lists) DP-B 1.78 (very bottom lists) 3102089396 if this helps with anything

Walt T

Lieutenant

That is a European drive, in fact I might venture to say it was intended for use with diesels. Upper gear part# 3858787 is the replacement number. Your 854298 number is long since outmoded. Times like this I wish Don was still around.

Duoprop Drive Unit: 854298 : 854298 - 7745660 - Volvo Penta

Last edited by a moderator:

454bbc

Seaman Apprentice

That is the first time i have heard that before after all of this nightmare lol! I will def. give them a call and see if they can help me out cause I am as lost as it gets on this totally. Thank you for a lead on maybe finding something!

That is a European drive, in fact I might venture to say it was intended for use with diesels. Upper gear part# 3858787 is the replacement number. Your 854298 number is long since outmoded. Times like this I wish Don was still around.

Duoprop Drive Unit: 854298 : 854298 - 7745660 - Volvo Penta

K-2

Chief Petty Officer

454, I have the same drive, twins, behind 41A diesels. They are getting scarce. As you said they do not interchange well with later 290 duo props. The hinge pins are 18MM, the later 290's are a bigger diameter, what we have are sometimes referred to as "small pin 290",
so the transom shields do not inter change either. Do you have square end hydraulic rams? Volvo does not make parts for those anymore,
they can be replaced with a round end kit for $1,000 . I know where 2 complete drives are, complete cores, need rebuilt, $2,500 each before shipping. Also watch EBay for parts . Keep digging, the parts are out there,,,somewhere;) There is no cheap way to convert these to newer 290's which are more common and easier to find parts, it can be done, all Volvo factory bolt on parts but it is expensive.

Good Luck, keep us posted on what u find.

K-2

Chief Petty Officer

That gear set in your pic is still available from Volvo Penta,,,$3,000 for the 3 gear set.
Part # 853669 , verify that part number before ordering . Do you have a parts schematic?
Volvo Penta Schematic Part Diagrams

Walt T

Lieutenant

Let us know how it goes 454. I'm really curious.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

You have the BBC which requires the 1.78:1 over-all ratio. No other ratio was typically used behind a BBC, to my knowledge anyway.
The "E" drive is the odd one!
The "E" was used behind certain diesel engines in order to achieve a lower gear ratio without using the smaller DP lower gear set.(the 2.30:1 "drive" gear is rather small, making for less gear tooth contact... I.E., a weaker gear set)
in order to achieve a 2.30:1 over-all ratio, the stronger 1.95:1 lower gear set was used with the reduced reduction of the "E" transmission gear set.

I doubt that the "E" transmission would have been used behind a BBC with an over-all correct ratio of 1.78:1.
(the 1.78:1 DP gear set has a larger "drive" gear, making for more gear tooth contact... I.E., a bit stronger gear set)

It's no different than what happens to these Off-Road 4WD guys when they install low differential gear sets and large diameter tires/wheels.

The first thing that happens, is that they start breaking gears because the pinion gears are very small!
I think someone's confusing the larger appearing DP-B transmission gear teeth with an "E" transmission gear set.
You need to do a transmission gear tooth count.
Also need to confirm his DP lower unit gear tooth count... (I.E. ratio)
DP prop shaft bearing carrier should be stamped with the over-all ratio.

Cobe Marine in Pasadena,Md.Great parts dept.
Bill Cobe was the best Volvo guy in the area.
I think he's long retired but last I knew he would still answer questions.

Last edited:

454bbc

Seaman Apprentice

Still having little to zero luck guys have called anyone and everyone in the U.S. lol! i did a teeth count again also. the gear pictured i think was 24 and the other gear it goes in mesh with is 23 so from what i understand of this this is a serious odd ball. Called one fellow in Cali. who I have delt with before with this stinkin drive and he got his guy to tear down 14 drives and every one of them were a 24 to 24 count or 23 to 23 so on and so on more like a 1:1 ratio I guess lol......so now what?

454bbc

Seaman Apprentice

Has anyone ever converted to Mercruiser from one of these lol?

K-2

Chief Petty Officer

Parts book says all the upper gears are the same.
The ratio is changed in the lower unit.
I have 2 of these same outdrives : DP B1 , 1:78 3102172095
DP A ,1:78 3102075364
Nothing special or rare about the upper gear sets. These are 1989 vintage.
Any idea what year yours is?

454bbc

Seaman Apprentice

Mine is also a 1989

Parts book says all the upper gears are the same.
The ratio is changed in the lower unit.
I have 2 of these same outdrives : DP B1 , 1:78 3102172095
DP A ,1:78 3102075364
Nothing special or rare about the upper gear sets. These are 1989 vintage.
Any idea what year yours is?

K-2

Chief Petty Officer

You can convert a 290 to a SX but it is expensive to do, special adapter transom plate is like $700-900 .
If you can find an upper gearbox assembly that will work in a 290 B I would go for it .

Walt T

Lieutenant

Wow I am sorry for your problem. What kind of boat is this in? Just curious. I hate to say it but you may be SOL. Just keep calling people and when you do ask if they know anyone else you can call. Surf the 'Net for Volvo somebody's got to have information or an upper. I'm thinking it may be cheaper to convert. Or maybe strip it all off, redo the transom and install a Merc or Volvo. I'm thinking no matter what it's all gonna probably cost you more than your boat may be worth. I love my boat, it's paid for, it's 25 years old, but I know there is a limit to what it is worth. However it's also a hobby to me so I don't mind spending time and money on it. It's easy for me to say that because I can do the work, it's a whole different ballgame when you have to pay to have work done.
So all I can say is don't give up yet work the phones and watch out for those sneaky 900 numbers where some awfully nice lady asks for your credit card information for "age verification"

billbayliner

Chief Petty Officer

There is no issue here. Plenty of uppers around.

I have a rebuilt one sitting in my cabinet. People have got to stop calling the the AQ series drives 290's as this is what keeps getting people into trouble and purchasing non compatible parts. The 290 is a SPECIFIC model. Then came the 290A, the SP / DP-A model. Each are independent from one another as there were modifications made by Volvo in the AQ series drives evolution .

You have a DP-B drive and not a 290 DP-B

The B drive is rare but only in the sense there are not many DP-B models around but it still shares many parts. For example the only difference between a DP-A1 and a DP-B is the steel sliding sleeve.

Only difference between a DP-D1 and a DP-E is the paint color (This does exclude the DP-E drives that uses a specific upper gear set for use with certain diesel engines.

I do not come on here very often anymore but I will try and remember to check in and you can send me a PM and I will send my email address and try and get you going.

AND in closing, why would you ever want to switch from one of the best outdrives ever engineered and manuactured to a merc or newer Volvo? These drives are bullet proof if maintained. All this means is change the oil (FULLY SYNTHETIC IN DP's) and change the drive bellow every 3 years.

Even after Volvo went to the Sx DPS-M line in 1996 as their primary drive, they still used the AQ series in the high torque diesels till almost 2003.

I have worked on them all and nothing compares to the AQ series.

K-2

Chief Petty Officer

WOW, That was great, I would love to see a whole list of the evolution of the AQ.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Sounds like Bill might know something about a Volvo:)

454bbc

Seaman Apprentice

wow that cleared up ALOT!! thank you!! PLEASE HELP ME!! lol!!

There is no issue here. Plenty of uppers around.

I have a rebuilt one sitting in my cabinet. People have got to stop calling the the AQ series drives 290's as this is what keeps getting people into trouble and purchasing non compatible parts. The 290 is a SPECIFIC model. Then came the 290A, the SP / DP-A model. Each are independent from one another as there were modifications made by Volvo in the AQ series drives evolution .

You have a DP-B drive and not a 290 DP-B

The B drive is rare but only in the sense there are not many DP-B models around but it still shares many parts. For example the only difference between a DP-A1 and a DP-B is the steel sliding sleeve.

Only difference between a DP-D1 and a DP-E is the paint color (This does exclude the DP-E drives that uses a specific upper gear set for use with certain diesel engines.

I do not come on here very often anymore but I will try and remember to check in and you can send me a PM and I will send my email address and try and get you going.

AND in closing, why would you ever want to switch from one of the best outdrives ever engineered and manuactured to a merc or newer Volvo? These drives are bullet proof if maintained. All this means is change the oil (FULLY SYNTHETIC IN DP's) and change the drive bellow every 3 years.

Even after Volvo went to the Sx DPS-M line in 1996 as their primary drive, they still used the AQ series in the high torque diesels till almost 2003.

I have worked on them all and nothing compares to the AQ series.

Walt T

Lieutenant

Well there you go. I learned a lot. Thanks Bill!

454bbc

Seaman Apprentice

Anyone know if a DPC1 will work maybe? numbers are 872860 3102149837