Engine stalled after alternator belt broke

Charveyxx

Recruit
Hi I have a fourwinns 180 Horizon with a Volvo Penta 4.3GLD, I was out at the weekend and the engine bogged down and then stalled. When I looked in the engine compartment I could see that the alternator belt had broken, possibly due to wear as there is a bit of rust on the pulleys, the belt teeth were in good shape just the belt had shredded at the edges. Anyway when I started it the engine ran for about 60 seconds and then conked out. Is this as a result of the alternator not running? I did a bit of research on the net and it was suggested that the fuel pump will not run properly when the alternator is not running. I have ordered the belt and will fit shortly, I would just like to know if there will be any other nasty surprises, or anything I should look at in addition to the rusty pulleys.

skydiveD30571

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Engine stalled after alternator belt broke

If you have an electric fuel pump, that would be normal. The fuel pump gets its power from the ignition cylinder when you hold the key in the start position, and then from the alternator once you let go of the key. No running alternator = no power to fuel pump. Your carb fuel bowl would probably have some fuel in it still which would explain how it ran for a little bit before shutting down. Unless there is some other hidden issue you aren't aware of, it should just be a matter of installing the new belt.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

The alternator supplies power to the fuel pump relay to energize it. The green wire in the picture below goes to the L terminal on your alternator. You can test to see if your pump works, or wire it up in emergencies like what you had, by pulling the relay and connecting 30 and 87 terminals of the socket.

attachment.php

Last edited:

Charveyxx

Recruit

Thank you guys for the rapid comprehensive responses really appreciated. Will fit the belt this weekend but feeling confident that all will be good!!

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

I carry spare belts with me. Actually what I do is change the belt after a certain amount of hours and keep the old ones as spares for emergencies.

tazrig

Lieutenant Commander

I carry spare belts with me. Actually what I do is change the belt after a certain amount of hours and keep the old ones as spares for emergencies.

No maintenance like preventative maintenance.:D