Use gasket sealer on oil pan gasket?

film842

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Tried to research this but could not find an answer. I have a felpro oil pan gasket for my AQ131A with no instructions and am wondering if I should be using gasket sealer along with it. It's not the cork type gasket.

Anybody know? Thanks.

Thalasso

Commander
Re: Use gasket sealer on oil pan gasket?

If it's the silicone gasket, no.
With silicone gaskets that is not necessary or needed. The gasket needs to flow into imperfections to be effective and if you use RTV on the gasket you are just adding RTV which is a type of silicone on top of an already silicone gasket, but the gasket can't flow anymore

film842

Petty Officer 3rd Class

If it's the silicone gasket, no.
With silicone gaskets that is not necessary or needed. The gasket needs to flow into imperfections to be effective and if you use RTV on the gasket you are just adding RTV which is a type of silicone on top of an already silicone gasket, but the gasket can't flow anymore

Thanks for the input. I've got a call into Felpro to find out if my gasket is silicon or not. I don't have any way of telling what it's made of. If it is, then I'll install it as you say.

film842

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Just for info in case anyone else faces this: I got the manufacturers (Felpro) on the line and they identified the oil pan gasket as being manufactured with silicon and advised that no gasket sealer was required just as Thalasso had indicated. So that's what I'm going to do. I can't find any information anywhere as to whether or not there is a particular torque value for the pan bolts, so I'll just give it a guess.

Bondo

Staff member

Just for info in case anyone else faces this: I got the manufacturers (Felpro) on the line and they identified the oil pan gasket as being manufactured with silicon and advised that no gasket sealer was required just as Thalasso had indicated. So that's what I'm going to do. I can't find any information anywhere as to whether or not there is a particular torque value for the pan bolts, so I'll just give it a guess.

Ayuh,... Use the Standard torque value for the diameter bolt,...

1/4",.... 15ft.lbs....

5/16",.... 25ft.lbs.....

3/8",.... 35ft.lbs...