Volvo 290 DP impeller

Ontherox27

Cadet
How does the impeller in a 290 DP get replaced? I've looked through my manual and it never mentions anything about the implore on lower unit only the water pump?

boatguya1

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Volvo 290 DP impeller

How does the impeller in a 290 DP get replaced? I've looked through my manual and it never mentions anything about the implore on lower unit only the water pump?

No impeller in the drive on Volvo units.

Ontherox27

Cadet

No impeller in the drive on Volvo units.

That would explain it. I've been trying to flush my system with muffs and can't get water though. Any thoughts? Had Merc before and never had problem with muffs.

Walt T

Lieutenant

You have to plug the hole under the drive on front of the bullet case, then hook up the muffs. The impeller is mounted on the crankshaft and it's probably fried now from being run with little or no water because some dude didnt plug up that hole.

Ontherox27

Cadet

You have to plug the hole under the drive on front of the bullet case, then hook up the muffs. The impeller is mounted on the crankshaft and it's probably fried now from being run with little or no water because some dude didnt plug up that hole.

That's the problem. The hole only needs to be installed when running muffs?
Also, is the impeller in the actual water pump, or the pump below the water pump with the in and out water hoses?

Maclin

Admiral

The impeller is in the lower one and spins with the crankshaft. One hose comes in from the drive and the other goes to the engine's circulation pump housing.