EXHAUST RISER RESTRICTOR PLATE 3.0 Volvo Penta

Status
Not open for further replies.

insttech1

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: EXHAUST RISER RESTRICTOR PLATE 3.0 Volvo Penta

I try and read up on all the 3.0 posts that I see, and I have yet to see anyone say "oh, you don't need the restrictor".

The exhaust flapper, on the other hand, can go away (if you have one built '99 or before; there's a bulletin on that....)

Bondo

Staff member

Does this part really need to be there ? I am putting my engine back together, and the new manifold i got came with only one gasket.

This is the part im talking about, it restricts waterflow, maybe to keep the engine either hotter or cooler.
VOLVO PENTA 3853628 EXHAUST RISER RESTRICTOR PLATE 3.0 LITER

Ayuh,.... If the gasket, Exactly mirrors that plate, you could probably get by, for awhile, without it,...

Boatin' in the Brine, I wouldn't even consider the thought,...

I can't say that I know for sure but I will share with you my experience. I am looking at your post because I am looking for the same answer. I have twin 3.0 l motors that only have 60 hours on them. I have only had the boat for three seasons. I have water in my oil and I am looking at whether I need to install these plates as my motors do not have them. I am suspecting that the motors are running to cold and condensing because there are no restrictor plates. I removed the cylinder head last season and replaced all of the gaskets when I reinstalled the head, combination manifold and riser elbow and still when I changed the oil at the end of the season I had water in the oil again. So you be the judge do you need a restrictor plate???? If you find an answer on this I would appreciate a post to help me out also:) Thanks and good luck

Fun Times

Staff member

Does this part really need to be there?
Hi there, Yes it really would be in your best interest for the plate to be there, but you have to be careful on the direction it goes.

If installed the wrong way it may have an affect on the big main water hose between the thermostat housing and water circulating pump. The plate is one reason of many that the hose may burst and or allow water into the cylinders.

Here are three posts that may be of interest to some of the members following this type of question. If you read in between the lines you will see where they talk about the affect of the restrictor plate.

http://forums.iboats.com/volvo-pent...-do-aka-dont-always-follow-labels-622706.html

Post #9, http://forums.iboats.com/volvo-pent...s-cooling-hose-throbbing-bursting-422287.html

A little over half way thru, http://www.justanswer.com/boat/6py00-1998-volvo-penta-3-0gsmlko-sn-3868646-engine-burst.html

I know this is an old post but I wanted to share what I have since found with my motors. When I purchased this boat it did not have the restrictor plates in it. When running and throughly warmed up the dash temp gauge only showed around 125 degrees which is quite cool. I did install the restrictor plates in both motors and replaced the thermostats also. Afterwards the boat warmed up to 165 degrees and runs there perfectly which is where they are supposed to run. I would recommend that restrictor plates be installed. As Fun Times mentioned watch the orientation on the plate when you install it, it is well marked which way it is to be installed.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
I know this is an old post but

No ifs, ands or buts, it's still an old post. A new, informational post would have been a much better way.

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.