Volvo Penta has hoses, not drain plugs ??

gapple12

Petty Officer 2nd Class
During my first winterizing of my boat this past weekend, I changed the oil, oil filter, fuel filter, gear oil, and then proceeded to drain the block. I pulled the manifold plugs, no problem, but when I laid down to pull the block drains, there are hoses attached to them on both sides feeding into a hose attachment capped off. So, I pulled the cap and let it all drain. Is this OK or should I pull the hoses off and drain from the block ? The hose was full to the top with water so I'm guessing the drains cant be clogged or needing to be reamed out ?

BRICH1260

Lieutenant
Re: Volvo Penta has hoses, not drain plugs ??

My boat has the same flushing attachment. In theory you should be able to drain the block by lowering that hose as low as you can. The problem that can occur is if the port on the block is clogged and all of the water does not exit. I usally backflush my motor with a garden hose attached to that cap that you see.By forcing garden hose water back through this system you can break up any particles clogging the block port. You might want to remove the engine hoses to and from the water pumps and let them drain out also.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

I'd Personally advise this guy to remove that system, and install Marine style drain petcocks.
The style with the completely removable stop.
Way too much $ is wasted by a cheap drain.
I usually take that style out and ream out the area behind the plug.
It's better to just have a pipe plug in there.

gapple12

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'd Personally advise this guy to remove that system, and install Marine style drain petcocks.
The style with the completely removable stop.
Way too much $ is wasted by a cheap drain.
I usually take that style out and ream out the area behind the plug.
It's better to just have a pipe plug in there.

I agree with this, I'm thinking that is what I will do. I will never use that flush system. I'm guessing its primarily use is to flush salt water, which i wont need. Now I need to hunt for the replacement plugs.

skydiveD30571

Lieutenant Junior Grade

What engine are we talking about?

gapple12

Petty Officer 2nd Class

This picture shows your current setup I believe.

If it's the drain plugs you are looking for, I do not see why a normal drain plug for a 5.0 block would not work. That is item #9 below, part 3854494 :

Volvo Penta Exploded view / schematic Cylinder Block and Flywheel Housing 5.7GL-C, 5.7GL-D, 5.7GL-E, 5.0GL-C, 5.0GL-D, 5.0GL-E - MarinePartsEurope.com

Thanks, I had found that part as well just wasn't sure it would work since its for a 5.0GL-C, 5.0GL-D, and 5.0GL-E, not a 5.0GL-A. Im sure there all the same on that part, I was going to ask. Thanks for your help.....

skydiveD30571

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I believe they are the same thing. But since Volvo used your setup on the 5.0GL-A alone (and maybe the -B), the drain plug isn't listed for that engine. The block is the exact same so the plug should fit yours just fine.

Bondo

Staff member

Thanks, I had found that part as well just wasn't sure it would work since its for a 5.0GL-C, 5.0GL-D, and 5.0GL-E, not a 5.0GL-A. Im sure there all the same on that part, I was going to ask. Thanks for your help.....

Ayuh,.... This is a Chevy based 5.0l,..?? Right,..??

If so,... Head on over to yer local hardware store, 'n grab a couple of brass 1/4" pipe plugs,....

I think the Fords also use 1/4" pipe too, but ain't Sure,...

They're a couple bucks a piece, 'n ya need a 9/16" wrench to put 'em in or take 'em out,..

gapple12

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ayuh,.... This is a Chevy based 5.0l,..?? Right,..??

If so,... Head on over to yer local hardware store, 'n grab a couple of brass 1/4" pipe plugs,....

I think the Fords also use 1/4" pipe too, but ain't Sure,...

They're a couple bucks a piece, 'n ya need a 9/16" wrench to put 'em in or take 'em out,..

Yes, Chevy motor, and thanks for the tip !!!

Silly Seville

Senior Chief Petty Officer

If so...Head on over to yer local hardware store, 'n grab a couple of brass 1/4" pipe plugs

The importance of BRASS cannot be overstated! Don't get iron plugs. In the event of a cross threading, brass won't hurt the block. But cross thread with an iron plug and you'll be doing thread repair to the block.

gapple12

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The importance of BRASS cannot be overstated! Don't get iron plugs. In the event of a cross threading, brass won't hurt the block. But cross thread with an iron plug and you'll be doing thread repair to the block.

Makes sense, thanks