AQ130 brass cooling tube sealer?

Bilgewiper

Cadet
I have the new square cut o-rings but need a recommendation for replacement sealer that I see was used as it came from the factory. Weird hard grey stuff. 3M 5200 or Sikaflex work? Thanks in advance.

PiratePast40

Lieutenant Commander
Re: AQ130 brass cooling tube sealer?

Permatex high temp, red RTV works great. Let it cure for at least a day. After startup, there will probably be a few leakers so be prepared to touch those up. I use a small screwdriver to smooth out the RTV and then carefully wipe up the excess so it looks good.

The trick is the make sure the tubes are bent as perfectly as possible so that they aren't pulling too much on the seals.

By the way, new??? They haven't made the engines since the mid 70's, so even old farts are stretching it a little to call them new! :D

Last edited:

HorizonblueDK

Petty Officer 1st Class

When I assembled my AQ170 engine, I didn't use any sealant when installing these square O rings, instead I greased them a little, so they could easily slip into place. Doesn't leak. The tubes on my engine are held in place, so excessive water pressure can't force them out.

Bilgewiper

Cadet

Ha Ha Pirate, the o-rings new, definitely not the motor. Thanks for info. I will get some.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Horizon said it. No sealer other than a little grease.
You MUST make sure they align correctly.
Make sure the o-ring mating surfaces are absolutely clean.
I use a green scotchbright.

PiratePast40

Lieutenant Commander

I agree that, with perfect alignment, there should be no problem with the cooling pipes being held in place at the mounting points provided. Some of us aren't professional mechanics, and make some pretty dumb mistakes, or start with some pretty bashed up equipment. I was providing a fix that I've used. I've also spend hours in frustration, trying to tweek the pipes this way or that to get the factory fit. If you can get the correct fit, by all means go for it. If you've struggled with those, as some of us do, then you'll be willing to settle for a less than perfect fit that still does the job, and doesn't look too amateurish.