Tilt/Trim Problem on Volvo Penta 3.0 GXi with SX/A Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

elf62

Cadet
I have a 2009 Four Winns H200 with Volvo Penta 4.3 L GXi with SX/A Drive. My last outing, everything seemed fine until we got to the ramp and noticed we could not raise the drive, even though you can hear the trim motor. We had to disconnect the hydraulic arms to lift the motor for trailering. Back in the yard, I reconnected the arms and did some minor troubleshooting. There are no obvious fluid leaks, the electric trim motor still works but the drive does not move up or down. The manual says to check the fluid level but this can only be done with drive in the down position. Since I can not lower the drive, I am not sure what to do next. Any ideas or guidance would be appreciated.

Last edited:

Thalasso

Commander
Re: Tilt/Trim Problem on Volvo Penta 3.0 GXi with SX/A Drive

I have a 2009 Four Winns H200 with Volvo Penta 4.3 L GXi with SX/A Drive. My last outing, everything seemed fine until we got to the ramp and noticed we could not raise the drive, even though you can hear the trim motor. We had to disconnect the hydraulic arms to lift the motor for trailering. Back in the yard, I reconnected the arms and did some minor troubleshooting. There are no obvious fluid leaks, the electric trim motor still works but the drive does not move up or down. The manual says to check the fluid level but this can only be done with drive in the down position. Since I can not lower the drive, I am not sure what to do next. Any ideas or guidance would be appreciated.

"Quote"
We had to disconnect the hydraulic arms to lift the motor for trailering. Back in the yard,

It's already down:facepalm::facepalm:

If the rams are extended crack the lines on the rams. It will bleed down. Just remember to top off reservoir.

Last edited:

insttech1

Petty Officer 1st Class

If there's no fluid in the reservoir at all, even with the drive up, then there's a fluid issue.

Is there any fluid in there at all??

elf62

Cadet

Yes, there is fluid in the reservoir. It is not to the top of the plug as the manual says it should be but the hydraulic arms are not fully extended as they would be with the drive fully down so the reading is not accurate.

Last edited:

insttech1

Petty Officer 1st Class

Is the fluid bright red (normal) or bubble gum pink (water intrusion)?
How "low" is it, even in the current condition?

Are the rams still disconnected? If so, you need to crack them open as mentioned, get them re-attached, top fluid off to correct level, and drive the rams/drive up/down until all air is bled out, and then re-fill the reservoir.

Try all that and see what happens.

elf62

Cadet

is the fluid bright red (normal) or bubble gum pink (water intrusion)?

How "low" is it, even in the current condition? Fluid is just below the bottom of the threads

are the rams still disconnected? I reconnected them but can easily disconnect.

If so, you need to crack them open as mentioned, get them re-attached, top fluid off to correct level, and drive the rams/drive up/down until all air is bled out, and then re-fill the reservoir.

How do i crack the rams open?

thanks

Last edited:

insttech1

Petty Officer 1st Class

"but the hydraulic arms are not fully extended as they would be with the drive fully down so the reading is not accurate."

This statement makes no sense to me, unless the SX-A drives works 180 degrees backwards from the old SX drive.
The rams are "extended" only with the drive fully UP.
They are "retracted" with the drive fully down.

If you can connect and disconnect the rams at will, there is no need to crack the lines.
When you are connecting and disconnecting the rams, are you able to push the rams in/out by hand? That means no pressure in the
system at all.....

Can you tell us exactly what position your drive is in, or put a picture up.
I think your posts are confusing us, so it's hard to help diagnose the problem.....

skydiveD30571

Lieutenant Junior Grade

"but the hydraulic arms are not fully extended as they would be with the drive fully down so the reading is not accurate."

This statement makes no sense to me, unless the SX-A drives works 180 degrees backwards from the old SX drive.
The rams are "extended" only with the drive fully UP.
They are "retracted" with the drive fully down.

SX-A and SX drives are nearly identical. You are correct, it works the same way as the SX drive.

elf62

Cadet

I can not push the rams in and out when they are disconnected. Sorry for the confusion. I worked on this a week ago and the boat is not at my house. Here is a pic I took. I can take a better one if it helps.20131014_154620 (1).jpg

Bondo

Staff member

I can not push the rams in and out when they are disconnected. Sorry for the confusion. I worked on this a week ago and the boat is not at my house. Here is a pic I took. I can take a better one if it helps.View attachment 215881

Ayuh,.... Ya gotta disconnect the oil lines, not the rams from the drive,...

If they don't move with the oil lines off, the rams are seized,...

elf62

Cadet

Is it easier to disconnect the oil lines at the rams or where they connect to the pump?

Bondo

Staff member

Is it easier to disconnect the oil lines at the rams or where they connect to the pump?

Ayuh,... Where ever you can get at 'em,...

insttech1

Petty Officer 1st Class

If they're anything like my SX, watch out for a few things:
1. Don't get sprayed in the face/eyes w/ ATF.
2. Just because you crack the fitting, doesn't mean pressure it relieved. You may have to wiggle the line out a bit because of the oring,
if your "A" drive has them like the SX.
3. For those orings--if you have them, make sure you replace them when disconnected. And make sure they come out of the hole with the fitting. They tend to stay in the hole. If you accidentally add a 2nd, or none at all....then that's a problem.

elf62

Cadet

Rather than disconnect the lines, I tried adding some fluid yesterday and was able to move the drive. I then raised the drive per the manual and added more fluid. I raised and lowered several times to purge the air out as the manual and others have said. I seems to be working now but not as smoothly as before. Maybe I just need to purge some more or add more fluid. The air and excess fluid leaked out where the oil lines connect to the pump. Is this normal or does that mean I have leaking o rings?

Last edited:

insttech1

Petty Officer 1st Class

Leaking there is NOT good. Pull those lines and replace the orings, if equipped, then retighten.
(Make sure you disconnect lines w/ drive down so you don't get any surprises!)
You should have a reservoir cap opened and the air escapes from there when you raise/lower to purge it.
If you don't have a reservoir, then maybe there is a pressure relief cap/fitting to loosen for this procedure?
Can you post a link from the volvo parts store so we know what your pump/reservoir/line setup looks like?

Was there ATF in your boat from the fluid leaking out before you noticed the drive not working?
Or is your entire setup on the outside of your transom?

Did you ever say what color your fluid was--pink or deep red?

Last edited:

skydiveD30571

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Leaking there is NOT good. Pull those lines and replace the orings, if equipped, then retighten.
(Make sure you disconnect lines w/ drive down so you don't get any surprises!)
You should have a reservoir cap opened and the air escapes from there when you raise/lower to purge it.
If you don't have a reservoir, then maybe there is a pressure relief cap/fitting to loosen for this procedure?
Can you post a link from the volvo parts store so we know what your pump/reservoir/line setup looks like?

Was there ATF in your boat from the fluid leaking out before you noticed the drive not working?
Or is your entire setup on the outside of your transom?

Did you ever say what color your fluid was--pink or deep red?

insttech the SX-A trim system is all exterior of the boat. The pump is mounted on the transom and the hydraulic lines enter from the top. This is the system that is notorious for leaking, and Volvo made an upgraded pump cover which is anything but cheap. It also has a reservoir cap as you'll see from the exploded view here:

Volvo Penta SX-A trim system

insttech1

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks Skydive!
I thought that was the layout, but didn't know how his reservoir was attached to the system.

It looks like cap #3 should be opened while operating the drive to relieve air pressure in the system after topping off or reattaching lines?
Or is that pressurized to the point where it would eject fluid under operation?

Is the typical leak from the line attachment points and the orings, or somewhere on the housing?

Or are these prone, like the older sx drives, to leak from the seals at the ram entry into the cylinder?

skydiveD30571

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I've removed cap #3 to check fluid levels with the drive both down and somewhat up, no fluid spray but there's usually a puff of pressurized air that escapes when the cap is removed.

The usual leak is from a white cap on the side of the pump housing seen here, but I've seen plenty of other threads about the hydraulic line o-rings leaking too:

421bac4b.jpg

Last edited:

insttech1

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks Skydive.
I think all of this should be able to get him on the right track.
Have a good one.

elf62

Cadet

Thanks guys. I sure wish the layout was as spacious as the exploded view that Skydive provided. These are some tight spaces to see what is going on. It was even difficult to add fluid to the reservoir due to the tight space. Since I did not remove the retainer (part 5) that covers where the hydraulic lines exit the pump, it is possible that the air and excess fluid leaking around the retainer were leaking from the white cap on the side of the pump housing that Skydive mentioned. What I saw was just excess bubbly fluid rather than streams of fluid like the photo. I will use a mirror or remove the retainer this weekend to see if the excess fluid/air mixture is leaking from the white cap rather than the o rings.

By the way, I was following the procedure for filling and bleeding on page 6-3 of the attached pub that I got from one of the other threads. That pub says to add fluid with the motor up, replace the reservoir cap, and bleed the excess air out by cycling up and down. It does not mention any type of relief valve to open. I would think operating the system without the cap (part 3) on would allow air to enter the system.

Boatinfo - Volvo Penta SX SternDrive Service Manual

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.