Volvo Low hours oil change and gear oil

gapple12

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Bought my boat a few months back. Its a 2002 Monterey with a Volvo 5.0GL-A motor and a SX drive . Has about 75 hours on it and all maintenance was done by previous owner with receipts, but receipts don't show what oil and gear lube he used. So, I looked threw the site and I am finding a lot of mixed ideas on what to use. Should I lean towards the OEM Volvo stuff or can I just go with any brand but the recommended in the owners manual ? Manual says for motor oil use SAE 20W/50 or SAE 15W/50. For gear lube it says API GL5 SAE 75/90 Synthetic oil. Now, this manual is from 2002 and things change, so I'm really concerned on what to use and not waste money on unneeded full synthetic oils if I don't have to, plus I have no idea what he used since he just paid the local mechanic to do it every year. Thanks in advance......

insttech1

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Volvo Low hours oil change and gear oil

Do a search for oil in the post line; this just came up earlier today as well.
You'll get lots of different answers.

gapple12

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Do a search for oil in the post line; this just came up earlier today as well.
You'll get lots of different answers.

That's my problem, to many different answers...lol

doyall

Petty Officer 1st Class

... Manual says for motor oil use SAE 20W/50 or SAE 15W/50. For gear lube it says API GL5 SAE 75/90 Synthetic oil. ...

Hard to go wrong using what the manual specifies. If you plan on doing it yourself and pay attention to the auto parts places advertisments, closeouts, etc., you should be able to find a name brand Group III synthetic Xw-50 motor oil for $3 to $4 per quart. Go for the ACDelco filter. As has been hashed to death elsewhere here, any API GL5 75/90 Synthetic gear lube will be fine, just DO NOT get one specified for limited slip (LS) use. The LS additives are suspect in making the Volvo cone clutch slip. The lubes labeled as "marine" are just too darned expensive. The recommended substitute gear lube called for in the literature for my 2007 VP DPS-A is Mobilube SHC Full Synthetic 75W-90. It is now labelled as Mobil Delvac Synthetic 75W-90 (per an email to me from marinelubetech@exxonmobil.com) if you can find it.

skydiveD30571

Lieutenant Junior Grade

What doyall said. There's so many opinions because so many people do different things and don't have a problem. You don't need Volvo stuff, but it's never a bad idea to go with specs the manual calls for. Personally, I pick up a 5-qt jug of Mobil 1 15W-50 from the local wally world, order 3 qts of Amsoil Universal Marine Gear Lube off their website, and grab a typical Chevy oil filter from a local autoparts store. Works for me.

gapple12

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Great info guys, so I don't have to use a Marine grade oil for this motor ? I can use any 4 cycle auto motor oil like in my cars ? Also, I had no idea my 5.0GL was a Chevy motor, that's great !!! Any idea what filter adapts to this in a Fram or Delco style filter ? I already ordered the Volvo OEM oil filter, but would rather just get it from local auto parts store.

Last edited:

mandmj

Seaman

You can find the delvac at zoro tools, item number G3460204. $47 plus $5 shipping (for a gallon).

It was the best price I could find.

gapple12

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Absolutely.

This should contain about every filter brand made for it.

FRAM - Part Details

You can find the delvac at zoro tools, item number G3460204. $47 plus $5 shipping (for a gallon).

It was the best price I could find.

Thanks a bunch guys, this helps me a bunch in the future. Now I don't have to buy the Volvo filter plus ship it.