Volvo penta 3.0 Low max rpm after changing oil

MichelS

Recruit
Hi, first post here! I just changed the oil and filter on my Volvo penta 3.0. Oil level is good and pressure as well but the boat lack power. Can't reach more than 3500/3700 rpm at maximum, but sometimes, ALL AT ONCE, it increases to normal for a couple of seconds???? What do you think? Thanks in advance!

insttech1

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Volvo penta 3.0 Low max rpm after changing oil

Seems like you need to check the oil grade that was put in.
Ensure (absolutely) that oil level is indeed where it needs to be.
All other things aside, if those are good, it sounds like you knocked something else loose.
I'd check all the connections of your plug wires, etc...in all the areas you were tinkering around,
and see what's not right. Maybe rotor/cap are wearing down?
It also sounds like something may be restricting fuel flow (dirt/junk in the carb somewhere?).
How often is the other regular maintenance performed??

MichelS

Recruit

Seems like you need to check the oil grade that was put in.
Ensure (absolutely) that oil level is indeed where it needs to be.
All other things aside, if those are good, it sounds like you knocked something else loose.
I'd check all the connections of your plug wires, etc...in all the areas you were tinkering around,
and see what's not right. Maybe rotor/cap are wearing down?
It also sounds like something may be restricting fuel flow (dirt/junk in the carb somewhere?).
How often is the other regular maintenance performed??

Hi, Thanks. I put the Volvo Penta "Gasoline engine oil" "Catalytic Converter approved" provided by the store. There is no other number or type like W30 or so... on the box... No loose wires, the right # filter... Checked the oil level multiple times: Full after 5 min resting... Could the spark plugs be involved? But the problem started Immediately after the change...

aerobat

Master Chief Petty Officer

the oil Change has nothing in common with a sudden power loss and the oil grade is also surely not the answer. check if you non intentionally messed something up with your ignition components since they are the same side of the block like the oil filter - further check if your linkage is ok - so the carb fully opens when you have full throttle at the remote.

it has to be a small minor Thing.

Walt T

Lieutenant

I call this the "broken head syndrome" Once I worked on a drive for a customer and next outing his head had a problem and he assumed I must have messed it up. I hadn't even gone inside the boat, but I told him I had been eating a lot of fiber and well.........

He didn't see the humor in it.