Volvo penta oil

4WINN

Recruit
When did volvo penta change there idea from using a full synthetic sae 30 oil to a 10w40 oil ? Ever thing i have read for my 2005 four winn 180 horizon fish and ski says that i should only use sae 30 oil and not a multi viscosity oil ? Can i use a sae 30 oil from napa , mobile ,etc or can that hurt my engine???

insttech1

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Volvo penta oil

Do a search on here for oil to get some opinions.
Volvo made recommendations in their engine manuals, but then also issued bulletins clarifying that recommendation, and in some cases, changing it, based upon what I have read.
Personally, in my 3.0, I run the SAE 30, and I do not buy the $$$ marine grade from Volvo; I get it from Autozone.
But I DO change it during every winterization, and my boat only sees use during summer, and not a ton of hours. It doesn't lose a drop.
But everyone has their own opinion; some will absolutely not deviate from synthetics.
And you can have that conversation for days....
Same goes for oil filters, spark plugs, rotors, wires, and caps....that all come from Autozone for 1/3rd the price.

Maybe if you post your exact engine (size AND model number) the guys will tell you what they're using.

Welcome to iboats!:)

Walt T

Lieutenant

I like synthetic, use it in cars, boats, lawn mower, snow blower, little motor I installed on kids scooter, (2 cycle synthetic) and weed eater. At any rate, regular oil is absolutely fine. It is more important that you stick with regular maintenance so you get up close and personal with the motor and drives and possibly catch something else that may be ready to break.

dypcdiver

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Always amuses me when people stand up and say you should only use the oil that was recommended for the motor when it was designed.
How could these people see into the future of how lube oils would develop. Some of these motors were built 40+ years ago never mind when they were on the drawing board. OK rant over.

Walt T

Lieutenant

It's the same people who stand up and say (Insert car brand here) is best and all others are junk. Well, Yugo's were junk.