Volvo 7.4 MPI timing

Dave-R

Chief Petty Officer
Hello All : I have a 1999 Volvo GI PWTR 7.4 MPI That I am trying to time.
I have the Volvo shunt. On the distributor there are two plugs but both have wires coming out of them.
I was led to think there was supposed to be just a dummy plug to pull out, and plug the shunt in.
The distributor is real hard to get to, and I will try to see if it is a Delco EST or whatever.
It is Original that is all I know. If I can figure this out, I will use the base timing mode procedure in the Volvo sticky
section. Thanks For your help. Dave R.

Dave-R

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Volvo 7.4 MPI timing

I checked closer and it is a Delco distributer. I started the engine, and let it warm up. Then I pulled the plug out ( As per the procedure )
and the engine dies. It has to be the right plug, and the test shunt fits it. I turned on the timing light and it reads right on TDC at 600 rpm without the shunt. I'd like to get it right, as I'm afraid of damaging the engine if I don't. Thanks Dave-R

Dave-R

Chief Petty Officer

Apon further investigation, I found where the timing on the 7.4 Gi has to be set thru the ECM using specialized equipment.
I guess I will have to go 70 miles to a dealer. (Dang) Dave-R

Fun Times

Staff member

Hi there, Since you have a 1999 Volvo GI PWTR 7.4 MPI engine model, your timing procedure is completely different then the way you are trying to do it. The way you are describing is the way you would do it if it was a carbureted engine model. Give me some time to find the correct procedure for you.

Fun Times

Staff member

To avoid going to the dealer, You could either buy a,
CodeMate
MEFI Code Reader
For GM-Delphi MEFI-1 thru MEFI-4

This pocket size tester serves as both an EFI Problem Indicator and a Spark Timing service tool. It is the perfect tool for low volume marine repair shops that troubleshoot a small number of EFI systems a year. CodeMate allows fault codes to be read and allows base spark advance to be set when used with a timing light.

For GM-Delphi MEFI-1 thru MEFI-4
systems only. Not compatible with

MEFI-5 systems or 2001 and newer
MerCruiser PCM-555 / ECM-555.
Part #94008
Rinda Technologies marine diagnostic tools, marine diagnostics, marine scan tools, marine engine software

Or just locate the diagnostic port (Where you would plug in the scan tool or Code Reader) and carefully jump pins A and B using a paper clip. Jumping A & B will set you in base timing mode.:)

Dave-R

Chief Petty Officer

Fun Times: I cannot thank you enough for your help. I used your ( or method ) and it worked perfect. She purrs like a kitty and roars like a lion. If you ever get to Utah, I will give you a tour of Lake Powell. Thanks Dave-R

Walt T

Lieutenant

An Attaboy for Funtimes. Not too many guys know the pin jumping trick. I'm afraid to tell people that here for fear they'll cross the wrong pins then blame me for burning the boat down. Dave R obviously knew what he was doing though, that helps a bunch.

Remember Funboy, all the attaboys you build up can be wiped out with one "Awcrap" thereby leaving you at zero. Me I'm in negative attaboys, maybe I'll get into positive territory before I finally kick the carb cleaner bucket

Fun Times

Staff member

An Attaboy for Funtimes. Not too many guys know the pin jumping trick. I'm afraid to tell people that here for fear they'll cross the wrong pins then blame me for burning the boat down. Dave R obviously knew what he was doing though, that helps a bunch.
Remember Funboy, all the attaboys you build up can be wiped out with one "Awcrap" thereby leaving you at zero. Me I'm in negative attaboys, maybe I'll get into positive territory before I finally kick the carb cleaner bucket
I hear you Walt and your right, any advice we can give out over the internet should be as careful and accurate as you possibly can be in order to help provide the best information that you are comfortable with giving in hopes that the people reading and using the advice is comfortable knowing how to preform such tasks. The last thing we want to do here is make something worse then it already is.

Yes even though I've known this trick for years, I've personally never had done it as I've always had the tools to do it the safer way. That said, i'm not the only one on the internet that has provided this information in the past as there have been a few other guys on various boating forums that have mentioned this step in the past including this very forum that was provided by one of the most trusted iboats member that even took the time by posting a document of how to proceed with this step if you don't have the correct tools that I had mentioned before telling him to jump A & B. Here is the link of how you could jump A & B if interested. http://forums.iboats.com/volvo-pent...-5-0gi-pefs-tbi-timing-adjustment-473979.html

I gave him the two options and it becomes up to him of how he wants to go about performing it at his own risk. Most people are aware of the risk involved, they just hope the person giving the information is telling them correct procedures.

I'm not 100% sure why you feel that your in the negative attaboys, you provide some really helpful advice. Just keep in mind that there is no way we can all provide 100% accurate information all of the time over the internet as it is very difficult to pinpoint an exact cause of why something is doing something that is out of normal characteristics without being there to see it first hand.

All we can do is read the info provided and either ask some more questions that may lead to a solution or give suggestions of what it may or may not be and ultimately hope that the poster will come back and say it was this that was wrong the whole time.:)

Trust me Walt when I say our iboats team members both new and old truly appreciate the time spent by both you and others providing any additional advice you may have to offer. We all offer something in are own way and we gain something from it even if the advice seems to be on track or not with the information provided by the original poster.;)

And of course for the most part, it's now in our human nature to let someone know if they are too far out of line or not especially over the internet for all to see. So yes unfortunately that may come up from time to time just as long as it's done respectfully. Especially here on iboats.;)

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

The pin trick is actually already in the service manual.

Walt T

Lieutenant

Yeah it is Bruce but I don't think I would tell a newbie to try it. What seems obvious to us mechanicky types is as clear as mud to someone who can repair my rotator cuffs which to me seem impossible by looking at the scope pictures.

As for the attaboys I just said that so I could put in the "Kick the carb cleaner bucket" crack. Not many here remember those buckets with the screen basket inside and super toxic stuff in there which would require four hazmat teams and a helicopter crew to clean up a small spill.