end play clearance volvo 275 upper gear assembly

tincup67

Cadet
i checked the shaft end play on my upper gear assembly and i was able to get .004 inch between part of the nut and bearing but it would not slid freely all the way around, in fact i went clear down to .001 inch and it still would not slid freely all the way around. I could not get .005 inch between the nut and bearing anywhere. The nut has a "1" stamped on it. What can or should i do to get the .004" to .020" clearance?

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Re: end play clearance volvo 275 upper gear assembly

OP says:
i checked the shaft end play on my upper gear assembly and i was able to get .004 inch between part of the nut and bearing but it would not slid freely all the way around, in fact i went clear down to .001 inch and it still would not slid freely all the way around. I could not get .005 inch between the nut and bearing anywhere. The nut has a "1" stamped on it. What can or should i do to get the .004" to .020" clearance?

The various top nuts are marked as to the thickness value when fully tightened.

You'll first need to make certain that the vertical shaft upwards force is fully encapsulating the split ring within the keeper....., and that both driven gear bearings are fully clamped into the gear case.
Only then can this measurement be accurately taken.

He should be lucky that he's on the tight side.
Normally, an expanding brass split ring keeper (aka wear washer) will take this play in the other direction..... sometimes to as large as .035" or more.