1996 Volvo Penta 5.0 cooling system question

Guglielmo

Cadet
hello and thanks ahead for helping
I recently purchased a boat which has been sitting for some time (96 chris craft) and as you would expect it has some issues,
first and foremost, I am now working on my starboard engine and it runs well, but on the cooling system,
can someone tell me what the part/item is that the raw water pump first pumps water to? its located in the center of the engine just behind the black cover, looks to have fuel lines going in and out of it, and the raw water pump hose goes directly there and then out,,, its completely clogged. It looks to me like some type of fuel cooler, but I cant find any pictures or info on it
thanks

skydiveD30571

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: 1996 Volvo Penta 5.0 cooling system question

How about a picture of yours? If you are sure those are fuel lines going to and from it, then yes it would be a fuel cooler although I'm not familiar with Volvo using those.

A full model number or serial number would be handy for us. There were many models of the 5.0 produced around 1996.

Guglielmo

Cadet

How about a picture of yours? If you are sure those are fuel lines going to and from it, then yes it would be a fuel cooler although I'm not familiar with Volvo using those.

A full model number or serial number would be handy for us. There were many models of the 5.0 produced around 1996.

thanks, but it is not the thermostadt , the thermostadt is at the front of the engine,
the serial number of this engine is

T01289431 IT IS A 1996 VOLVO PENTA OMC COMBINATION OR SO I WAS TOLD, IT IS A FUEL INJECTED, 5.0 IT ALSO SAYS FORD ON THE ENGINE,
IM THINKING THOSE ARE FUEL LINES, i WILL TRY TO POST A PICTURE
and the boat is again , a 1996 Chris Craft Crowne 30
thanks

Last edited:

Walt T

Lieutenant

Power steering cooler? Wouldn't be where he seems to say it is.

Guglielmo

Cadet

Im trying to upload a picture, but as usual, not successful, anyway, I believe its under the fuel pump, or part of the fuel pump, I cant find any info on this part, why is that??? its always a nightmare trying to find parts etc, even with the serial number parts stores have an issue, yesterday I went to a Volvo Penta dealer and its always the same story,,"oh you have that year" we need the serial number,, hoping I dont have it,,, I say here it is!! and the face usually follows, like they are doing me a favor trying to take my money.... all I needed was an exhaust nipple from the riser to the elbow,,, still waiting for the day the boat industry catches up with the rest of the planet on spare parts,,,, I dont think its going to happen in my life time
anyway, this part looks like its under the fuel pump, basically attached to the bottom of it, and fuel lines def go to it, so it has to be a cooler of some sort, I have it bypassed at the moment , but that cant be good. If anybody out in the world can give me any info on this part, I would appreciate it,
No parts on ebay
None on the internet that I can find
The parts store thinks Im out of my mind, apparently this year Volvo Penta ,, they went out of their way to make it difficult to find any kind of spare parts,, Frustrating to say the least

bajaunderground

Lieutenant

Im trying to upload a picture, but as usual, not successful, anyway, I believe its under the fuel pump, or part of the fuel pump, I cant find any info on this part, why is that??? its always a nightmare trying to find parts etc, even with the serial number parts stores have an issue, yesterday I went to a Volvo Penta dealer and its always the same story,,"oh you have that year" we need the serial number,, hoping I dont have it,,, I say here it is!! and the face usually follows, like they are doing me a favor trying to take my money.... all I needed was an exhaust nipple from the riser to the elbow,,, still waiting for the day the boat industry catches up with the rest of the planet on spare parts,,,, I dont think its going to happen in my life time
anyway, this part looks like its under the fuel pump, basically attached to the bottom of it, and fuel lines def go to it, so it has to be a cooler of some sort, I have it bypassed at the moment , but that cant be good. If anybody out in the world can give me any info on this part, I would appreciate it,
No parts on ebay
None on the internet that I can find
The parts store thinks Im out of my mind, apparently this year Volvo Penta ,, they went out of their way to make it difficult to find any kind of spare parts,, Frustrating to say the least

I have the same year Chris Craft and and same motor...albeit only one!!!

So if it's fuel injected it more than likely a 5.0Fi if it's carbureted it's most likely a 5.0FL (both are FORD Based motors).

Those are weird years as the motors are listed as OMC and the Outdrives are labeled as Volvo Penta SX or DP!?
Does your motor have distributor in front or back? If it's in front, then it's a FORD based 5.0L (302ci) if the distributor is in the rear, then you have a GM based 5.0L (305ci)?
HERE'S MINE: Engine installed.jpg

Mine's a 502APNCA model it's listed on the inside port side valve cover! What you're inquiring about is (as others have mentioned) is the power steering cooler it comes off the water inlet hose it has 1 1/2" hose with 2 smaller 3/8" lines running to it from the return line from the PS ram.

You're not out of your mind...have your local shop order Volvo Penta parts...most are direct fits...if there's any confusion, PM me and I'll get you the correct part number?

Also, you'll find the complete Engine manual at Boatinfo - boat brochures and manuals for boats and marine engines! for sanity's sake, use the OMC Manual (1986-1998)...it's got you covered?!

~Brett

bajaunderground

Lieutenant

Here's the part number for the PS cooler... 3851921 ($190.78) from HERE

Also, posting pics takes time as a newbie...put them in Photobucket.com or somewhere similar and post the link...that way we can assist in getting you the information needed!
~Brett

Last edited:

Guglielmo

Cadet

Hey Brett, thanks for all the good info
my engines are 5.0 Fi injected, the distributor is in the front and I do know they are Fords,
I dont think the item is a power steering cooler, I do know my way around engines and dont see any way its connected to the steering
I do see a fuel pump and fuel lines going to it, I will try again now to post a pic

Guglielmo

Cadet

ok, here is the picture of the unit Im talking about, the unit is in the center of the pic, the green wire sits on top of it and supplies power to the fuel pump, just below that black pump, if you look real close to the right you will see an aluminum oxidized hose connector fitting that is trashed,

Last edited:

Guglielmo

Cadet

thanks,,, I see the part I need, and of course its almost 400 bucks for what they call a reservoir?? anyway, what does that item do anyway?

bajaunderground

Lieutenant

thanks,,, I see the part I need, and of course its almost 400 bucks for what they call a reservoir?? anyway, what does that item do anyway?

No idea here...mine doesn't have one of them! Good old, old school carburetor here! Good luck with the repair!
~Brett